Monday, April 29, 2013

MEET AUTHORS BIL AND BON FRANKS

Quote for the week: No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.  Proverb

Today, I have the pleasure of featuring Bil and Bon Franks on my blog.
 
Bil Franks: I am a retired United States Air Force NCO, whose background is in small arms. My hobbies are martial arts and reading-mostly fantasy. Bon Franks: I was born and raised in Nevada and attended the University of Southern California, where I majored in English and Comparative Lit. I’m interested in herbology/plants/gardening, aside from writing romance novels.
We live in Central Texas with four cats and two Mac computers.



The authors have an interesting story to tell you about their recently published series. 




Odyssey of a Saga: My Husband is a Genius . . . or Just Plain Lucky

“The Twilight of Magic” is a saga written for ‘tween through late teen, and beyond to adults too. Based on real history of the fifth century AD, it is a series of four novels that recount the adventures of a young girl in Britannia and Ireland, and from there to a world called Faerie. As a matter of fact, these four books later on stretch into a trilogy called “The Dawn of Ireland,” plus three more, all aimed at audiences 18 and over.
So how did ten books come from the chance remark of my husband, Bil Franks?
Let me begin by saying that Bil is a voracious reader of fantasy of all kinds. One day three years ago, he looked up from some fantasy-or-other and wondered aloud to me about something that would change our lives.
“Why did Arthur survive these last thousand years in a thousand different books? And why does every school kid know the exploits of Robin Hood? But there are no similar fantasies, tales and movies about a man whose exploits were far greater than theirs—St. Patrick.”
Bil’s insight spurred both of us to sit down and begin to research and write. We started with a spoiled, self-indulgent young girl named Caylith who gets swept into danger in her own world and escapes to perhaps a greater danger—the perils of a parallel world called Faerie. Along the way she meets Patrick, then a humble priest in a small-town church, who befriends her.
When Caylith much later returns to bring the denizens of Faerie and Britannia to safety in Ireland, she rejoins Patrick, who of course has already gone to Ireland and who has immersed himself in the politics of the day and who has begun to change the history of that country forever. Besides being fanciful, the adventures are as real as history can tell us, from the Hill of Armagh to the Hill of Tara, with handsome clansmen, treacherous druids and many more compelling characters.

Bil and I wrote the first four books together, the ones whose covers you see arrayed below. The first two have been published by MuseItUp, and you’ll also see the buy links. We hope you will take the time to read the sagas, beginning with RUNNING OVER RAINBOWS, suitable for ‘tween to twilight years.

 

RUNNING OVER RAINBOWS ...
 
 



HIDDEN BY THE ROSE ...


CHILDREN OF THE DUST ...
http://bit.ly/ZcQab4 (20% preorder discount)

WHERE WILD PONIES RAN ... Coming in July
 
To learn more about Bil and Bon, check out these sites:
 
B&Bhttp://twilightofmagic.wordpress.com/BilBon Franks:Running Over Rainbows on MuseItUpRunning Over Rainbows on AmazonRunning Over Rainbows on ask.DavidHidden by the Rose on MuseItUp BookstoreHidden by the Rose on AmazonChildren of the Dust pre-orderWhere Wild Ponies Ran from MuseItUp in July 2013http://about.me/bfranks/#

34 comments:

  1. Dear Beverly and Followers of this great blog,

    Bil ad I are delighted to be here today, talking about the "genius" or stroke of luck that led to the creation of our books. The old saying is that genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. In that sense, we are truly, as they say, Norman Einsteins!

    We hope you'll fall in love with Caylith and her friends, just like we did. And we wish you a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting with us, Bil and Bon. I don't know about others, but I've added your books to my ever growing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how very interesting! You two are lucky that a simple sparked bloomed into something so great. Wish you nothing but success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound great! I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How inspiring that you write together. I love that! The books look and sounds awesome, but your writing/publication road is just as intriguing. Thank you so much for sharing, and thanks to Beverly for having you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, stick with 'genius' and you can't go wrong. I read the first in the YA series and fell in love with the 'Verse. If you love history and well-written sagas, this is perfect for both teens and adults!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to both of you and your wonderful stories.Big fan of both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome books, filled with the kind of compelling characters and lush universe that will instantly attract readers of ANY age. Wishing you the best of success, always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it wonderful when a rogue idea inspires greatness. Congrats on your success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so wonderful that Bil and Bon share a love of books and writing. It must be thrilling to work on writing novels with your spouse -- I know I'd love that. Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bill and Bon Great interview and I love the covers. They are so perfect for the stories. This is a wonderful series which appeals to readers of all ages. Wither you indentify with Auntie Marrie or Caylith, you'll love these novels.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is neat, isn't it, Jessie. You never know where those ideas will come from.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome, Sheri. Glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to reading the books, Nya. History is one of my favorite subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great recommendation, Morgann. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We wanted to leave a personal note for each commenter..but the comments came in too quickly.

    We are overjoyed at your response to our "odyssey," our long trip from a fast idea. We want each of you to know how much we appreciate the time it took to log in, read our article, and to leave us words of encouragement.

    Thank you, each and every one!

    We are privileged to have been your guests today, Bev, and thank you also, with a big grin. Your fans, ~Bil and Bon

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that would be great, too, Lexa. My husband isn't interested in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you would enjoy the series, Darby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm looking forward to reading the books, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's been my pleasure to share your stories with friends, Bil and Bon. Come back anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The covers look nice all together. Interesting writing partnership.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful about your partnership. And I love your covers. Who did them? Good luck with your series.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by, Catherine. I think the covers are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, EW. I checked to see who did the covers and her name is Marion Sipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's a briliant idea and I absolutely loved the first of the YA books and intend reading the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read any of the books yet, Rosemary, but hope to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your writing partnership sounds great , I often wonder if that would be for me, and I love with that fourth book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sometimes I think it would be nice to work on a story together, KR. Then sometimes maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete