Monday, March 25, 2013

CHRISTINE AMSDEN STOPS BY TODAY

Today, I have the pleasure of hosting Christine Amsden, author of Cassie Scot ParaNormal Detective., The Immortality Virus, and Touch of Fate. Christine Amsden has been writing science fiction and fantasy for as long as she can remember. She loves to write and it is her dream that others will be inspired by this love and by her stories. Speculative fiction is fun, magical, and imaginative but great speculative fiction is about real people defining themselves through extraordinary situations. Christine writes primarily about people and it is in this way that she strives to make science fiction and fantasy meaningful for everyone.

At the age of 16, Christine was diagnosed with Stargardt’s Disease, a condition that effects the retina and causes a loss of central vision. She is now legally blind, but has not let this slow her down or get in the way of her dreams. (You can learn more here.)

In addition to writing, Christine teaches workshops on writing at Savvy Authors. She also does some freelance editing work.

Christine currently lives in the Kansas City area with her husband, Austin, who has been her biggest fan and the key to her success. They have two beautiful children, Drake and Celeste.


Here's a sample from her latest novel, Cassie Scot Paranormal Detective. Christine tells me this scene was cut, but I love it and want to share it with you anyway.


            A couple of years ago, when I was attending a local junior college, I had a friend named Jen who loved to read fantasy novels. Despite her best efforts, she never got me to read them, but she loved to tell me all about the adventures of sword and sorcery and, to a lesser extent, tales of modern fantasy.

            I told her stories about my family, too. On more than one occasion she would burst out laughing and tell me I ought to write my ideas down.

            I guess she never actually believed that I come from a long line of sorcerers. Considering how normal I turned out, I suppose I can't blame her.

            One day, as we were chatting after class, my mom sent me a text message asking if I could pick up a couple dozen eggs on the way home from school. I mentioned the message to Jen, who got an oddly pensive look on her face. Then she said, “If your mom's a sorcerer, why's she texting you?”

            I drew a blank. “Because she's out of eggs?”

            “No,” Jen said, “I mean, doesn't magic cause modern things to break or something?”

            “Why would it do that?” I suspected that whatever she was on about had something to do with the books she liked to read. Though I'd never been interested in those types of stories myself, I was truly intrigued by the idea that magic and modern technology might not work well together.

            “Well, because magical energy and things like electricity might interfere with one another.”

            “You are aware that our bodies send out lots of electrical impulses, right? I mean, it's just a force of nature, like heat or sound.” I was picturing someone having a heart attack every time they managed to cast a spell.

            Jen frowned. “I hadn't thought of that. I guess it's not electricity, then, just modern gadgets.”

            “So what, anything invented after 1353?”

            “All right, all right, I get it,” Jen said. “But why would a sorcerer use a text message when she'd have magical alternatives?”

            “You mean, like a journey book, where she writes a message on her end and it shows up on mine?”

            “Yeah, something like that.”

            “Well,” I said, drawing out the answer for effect, “I guess it's because a journey book requires human blood and the cell phone company just wants a two year contract and a monthly service fee.”

Ha, ha! I love it.

Thank you, Christine for visiting my blog today.

Watch for my review in April.

Happy Reading.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what an inspiration Christine is. Congrats to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so amazing that Christine has forged ahead! Great inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing her with us, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah to Christine for not letting anything get in the way of her desire to write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This started my day off just right! Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine is so brave, and amazing, and inspiring. I guess if you really love something, even hardships can't stop you from doing it. My very best wishes for her continued success. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kelly, Sheri, Sarah, Catherine, C. Lee, and Lexa for your comments. Christine is an amazing young woman. And you should read her latest book. It's awesome. Will post a review soon.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Christine's book and part of her personal story. What an inspiration she is! Wishing her much success!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was fun, Charmaine, even though it was cut.

    ReplyDelete