Friday, March 22, 2013

CHICKEN SOUP CAN BE GOOD FOR YOU

Awhile back I posted this information on YA Authors You've Never Heard Of (me) and since I've been editing and writing and etc. this week I thought I'd share it with those of you who have not already read it. Enjoy.

Goody, goody! A royalty check arrives in the mail or is deposited in my Paypal account. Time to go shopping. Let me see. What can I buy for a buck fifty? A candy bar? A birthday card? Now I don’t want to sound ungrateful. I’m thankful for every penny my books earn and I exaggerated a little. When my royalties from all my books add up it’s somewhat better. Oh, I can’t go purchase a new car, but there are ways to add to my writing income without spending a couple of years on a novel. I can write magazine articles or short stories for the Chicken Soup for the Soul series.

Chicken Soup stories are usually less than 500 words and pay $100 to $200 plus 10 copies of the book. Pretty nice income for a few words and the subject matter covers many topics. I was fortunate to have my story “Traveler” published in What I Learned from the Dog. They’ve also not accepted three other stories I sent them. (They do not reject an article, which is nice, even though it means the same when they fail to publish it.) But you know the old saying, never give up, so I’m working on a story for a future book.



They have a call out for two subjects: "Devotional Stories for Wives" and "Miraculous Messages from Heaven 101 Stories of Eternal Love, Powerful Connections, and Divine Signs from Beyond." (These topics may be expired by now, but they add others continually.) See more at http://chickensoup.com. Select the Submit Your Story link on the left tool bar and follow the directions. It will show topics they’re interested in and how to submit.

This is a nice way to pick up extra cash. I’m crossing my fingers this time. They receive hundreds of submissions so it’s tough. But that’s a challenge and writers enjoy a challenge, right?



Good luck.

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of what can be learned from a dog! I bet your story's fun, and it's a very nice chunk of change to add to the saving-for-a-new-car fund! Don't get discouraged - I'm sure that new car's in your future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I know a few people who've been published in the Chicken Soup books. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun writing about the dog, Lexa. I sent an article about my cat, but they didn't buy it. Go figure.

    Money's nice, but I write mostly for enjoyment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They turn out a lot of books a year, Kelly. They publish audio versions too. I hope to get the one from this book when I have something to listen to it on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this! I had no idea how this worked. Congrats on having stories published in this series. Thanks for sharing where to find information about future books. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Jess. I love the Chicken Soup books and have several. It's fun to write for them, though they are hard to get published in. I've sent several others that they didn't buy. Never give up, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATS, Beverly! I like reading the Chicken Soup books. Lots of great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The books are inspiring, Susanne. And their newsletter has a lot of good info.

    ReplyDelete