Monday, February 25, 2013

MEET KATHY SATTEM RYGG





Bev: Hi, Kathy. Welcome to my blog. Please tell us about yourself and how you became a writer.

Kathy: I started writing short stories as early as kindergarten and wrote my first “book” in third grade (I used cardboard tied together with yarn as the “cover!”) I have a degree in magazine journalism and have worked for several Fortune 500 companies as well as trade magazines. I started writing children’s books several years ago after having kids, and I’m currently the editor for knowonder!, which publishes short stories for kids ages 3-10. The young middle grade audience (ages 7-10) is definitely my writing comfort zone.

Bev: When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Kathy: After going to the circus at age 5, I wanted to be a trapeze artist! That didn’t happen, but I still love taking my kids to the circus.
 
Bev: How did you come up with the idea for your latest book and were there any glitches along the way?

Kathy: My kids loved the Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborn and I wanted to write a story that could transport kids to another world—in this case the world of animals. It was during a trip to our city’s zoo that I decided a menagerie carousel would be the perfect device to do that.

I really didn’t have any glitches. In fact, I was fortunate to interview one of our zoo’s head keepers to get lots of great animal stories and background information on zoo life. It was critical to the plot.

Bev:   You’re shipwrecked on a deserted island. What character from a book other than yours would you want to be stranded there with you? Why?

Kathy: The Cat in the Hat. He’d make it fun and probably have some wacky invention we could use to sail away!

Bev: If we peeked inside your closet, what would we see?

Kathy: A mess! Clothes and shoes all over the floor, a pile of empty shopping bags in one corner, shelves of old books, VHS movies, and photos, and a big clunky fire escape ladder in case I ever need to make a quit exit out the bedroom window!

Coffee or tea?

Kathy: I’ll take either as long as there’s cream and sugar!

Bev: Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter?

Kathy: Summer—the hotter the better!

Bev:  If you could have super powers what would you wish for?

Kathy: I’d like to be able to teleport and just pop in and out anywhere I pleased.

Bev: If you could choose to live in another time, would you prefer the past or the future?

Kathy: I’d love to zip ahead to the future and see what’s in store. Hey, maybe people will be able to teleport in the future!

Bev: Are you working on any new books now? Tell us about them.

Kathy: I’m currently working on a middle grade fantasy series surrounding the popular sport of geocaching.

Bev:  Where can your fans learn more about you?


ANIMAL ANDY is available in ebook from MuseItUp Publishing and in print from Amazon.




Twitter: @kathyrygg


Bev: Would you like to share anything else with your fans?

Kathy: I also have a children’s chapter book series published called “Tall Tales with Mr. K” and book two recently released called “Taller Tales with Mr. K.” They are about a magical third grade teacher who takes his students on fun, crazy adventures in the teacher’s lounge. It’s great for kids ages 7-10 and both are available on Amazon.

Bev: Your book sounds just right for young animal lovers and older ones, like me, as well. Thank you, Kathy, for taking time out of your busy day to visit with us.  Stop by anytime.

Kathy: Thank you for hosting me today!

###

Have a great week, everyone.

Happy Reading.

21 comments:

  1. It was great to meet you, Kathy! I had a similar reason for wanting to write. My kids loved the MTH books, too. Giving kids a place to escape through words is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri, it is wonderful when kids enjoy reading and good books help them do just that. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kathy, for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series idea with the sort of magical merry-go-round! Kids love animals too. Good luck with the books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter would probably love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! There's just something about animals that kids can't get enough of. I'll definitely check this one out for my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun interview and a great series idea. Good luck with your books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of us never outgrow our love of animals, Catherine. Or Merry-go-rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who can resist a sweet animal,Sarah? I bet your little one will love the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy is a delightful person, isn't she, KW?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,Kathy, also nice to meet you.

    I love the premise of the story. So cute.Great interview. I love learning about other authors.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by, Lorrie. I enjoy learning about other authors too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one looks like a great kid book! Thanks to you both for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi C Lee. Kids should love this book. I'm happy to tell others about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed the interview. And I'd like to have the Cat in the Hat on a desert island, too! He'd definitely be a great companion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful interview. I have Animal Andy in eBook form. I just haven't had a chance to read it, but I'm hoping to sometime soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Cat in the Hat seems to be quite popular, Lexa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear what you're saying, Susanne. My TBR stack keeps growing and growing.

    ReplyDelete