Friday, February 22, 2013

FRIDAY FIRSTS

Happy Friday. When I was teaching I used to look forward to Friday because it was the day before the weekend started. I still like Friday because my schedule on Saturday and Sunday is more relaxed.

So for our Friday Firsts. When was the first time you decided you wanted to be a writer?

I don't recall an exact time I made this discovery. As a kid I was a non-reader and also a non-writer, so I did not always want to be a writer, like many of you did. My desire grew slowly after I became a teacher. My students and my sons get the credit for opening my eyes to the joys of reading and then writing. So all I can say is you're never too young to try something new.

If you're interested, you can read more about my adventures in writing at J. Q. Rose's blog today.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Happy Reading

9 comments:

  1. Bev, I have always written stories clear back in second grade. My grandmother, Ma, turned my scribbled story about a horse into a "novel" I wrote in seventh grade by typing it on her old typewriter. I was amazed seeing my words in print. That was my turning point toward becoming a writer. It took a long time to make the dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P S--thanks for leaving a link to my Girls Succeed blog and for being my guest author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful that you found your "calling" at such a young age, J. Q. And what a sweet grandmother you had. Now you're living your dream.

    You're welcome. I thought others migh be interested in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also one of the few who didn't grow up wanting to be a writer. I loved reading (always have) and I did a lot of writing, but it was always just for me. It has only been the past 5 years that I actually thought about being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in elementary school, but I didn't realize it was a career. I thought it was only something people did as a hobby. I couldn't be happier to have been wrong about that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who had no desire to be a writer when I was young.

    And now you're sharing your writing with others, and that is satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And look at you now, Kelly. So many books. It definitely is a career.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I first wanted to write when I was about 14, but quickly realized it was too hard. Then after I retired, I decided to take another stab at it. It's not much easier! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha. Do you think it ever gets easier, Lexa? I'm beginning to wonder.

    ReplyDelete