Friday, February 8, 2013

FRIDAY FIRSTS

We have the Friday Five and other Friday topics, so I'm thinking of starting a Friday Firsts for us to write about our "first" whatevers. If that makes sense. It may work out; it may not. The main thing is to have fun. Is anyone else doing this? Anyway, please join in and have fun.

My Friday Firsts for today is my first publication. When I was in eighth grade, my English teacher sent my poem "Stars" to a high school anthology, and it was published in Young America Sings, National High School Poetry Association. At the time I wasn't interested in writing or becoming an author. It was a class assignment and I didn't want to flunk English. Here's my beginning:

STARS
 
I often lie awake at night,
Watching stars that are so bright.
They sparkle and twinkle in the cool night air,
And look like ladies with lovely golden hair.
You see the little dipper and the big dipper too,
Away up in the deep dark blue.
But then come the morning rays of light
And all the stars are gone until tonight.
 
Beverly Stowe - Zundelowitz Jr. H. S.
 
 
 
How about you? Do you have a first publication? Are you looking forward to a first publication? Did you write a story for your parents, your teacher, yourself? Share your first experience with writing.
 
 
Thank you.
 
Happy Reading
 

7 comments:

  1. My first official publication was a short story in the now defunct online magazine, Kidvisions. The story was Bungling Lulu about a clumsy pixie. I got paid two dollars, in cash - through the mail. I bought a bright red yard spinner with a pretty pixie in the center to commemorate my first publication. (It cost much more than $2) Every once in a while she falls to the ground. Expected from a clumsy pixie. I just pick her up, dust her off and hook her back on again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, what a pleasant memory, Kai. We never forget the first. I can picture your little pixie. She's so cute, even if clumsy. Thanks for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful poem! Thanks for sharing it and I love the idea of Friday Firsts. I liked Kai's story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful poem! Thanks for sharing it and I love the idea of Friday Firsts. I liked Kai's story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Darby. I still have a copy of the paperback. It's in bad shape because that was years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friday Firsts is a cool idea. Thanks for sharing your first poem that was published. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Susanne. It's amazing I can remember that far back. :)

    ReplyDelete