Wednesday, January 30, 2013

J. Q. Rose

Look who's visiting my blog today. The talented J. Q. Rose. Hi, J. Q. Thanks for stopping by.



Hi Beverly. Thanks for hosting me today so I can tell your readers about the awesome women profiled in my new interactive e-book for girls, Girls Succeed: Stories Behind the Careers of Successful Women.

Hello Readers. I’m excited to visit with you. Please leave comments to enter a random drawing for a free copy of the e-book.

Tag line: Inspiring and empowering girls to achieve success in their dream careers.

This book about careers includes interviews with fifteen remarkable women who have achieved recognition for their accomplishment in their occupations. This is a diverse group of careers involving women who have discovered cures to stamp out disease, made people laugh, earned Olympic and Paralympic gold medals, crossed the country in the cab of an 18 wheeler, and lots more.

It was my privilege to interview these contemporary women. My heartfelt thanks go to them for trusting me to tell their inspiring stories and for allowing me to share them with young girls. I have had so many wonderful comments from the girls’ focus groups on how the stories have resonated with them.

Each chapter begins with an inspirational quote and photo of the woman profiled. A list of the highlights of her career and resources for learning more about the woman and her chosen field are at the end of the chapter. The resources include magazines, books, and active links to websites, a special feature when publishing an e-book.

There is a Study Guide now available to accompany this non-fiction book. The guide is organized into themes that are found in the stories. Users can jump around and use the themes/chapters in whatever order you wish. I have included questions for discussion and activities to expand on the themes of Passion, Persistence, Trailblazers, Feeling Different,

Being the Best You Can Be, and Overcoming Obstacles.

Because Beverly is a children’s author, I thought I would share an excerpt from the chapter about children’s author and illustrator, Jane Stroschin. Jane illustrates her beautiful picture books with her own magical artwork.



Excerpt from Chapter 3 Practice, Practice, Practice

One summer afternoon Jane and her young children, Laura and Brian, sat on a grassy hill watching the puffy clouds move and change as they crossed the blue sky. The kids told their mom what the clouds looked like…a dinosaur, a kitty, and more. These cloud pictures gave Jane an idea for her first picture book, The Cloudy Day.

Another idea for a book, Emma Lou and the Reindeer Flu, popped into her head when Jane was on the road traveling to a school where she would be teaching kids to write stories and draw pictures. It began to snow.

“The snow was beautiful. It made me want to write a Christmas story,” she said.

As Jane continued on her journey, the story of Emma Lou took shape in her mind. She pictured Santa stopping at Emma Lou’s farm on Christmas Eve because all the reindeer were sick with the flu. She had to get the words on paper, so she stopped at a restaurant, sat down at the table, and began writing the story on the back of the placemat.

“Would you like a menu?” asked the waitress as she placed a glass of water on the table. She couldn’t put it on the placemat after all.

Jane looked up from her writing. “Um, oh no. I’ll just have the special—whatever it is,” she said and returned to her writing.

The words for the story were streaming onto the placemat. Jane didn’t even notice the waitress had brought her food. Finally the waitress stopped by the table and asked if something was wrong with the meal. Jane kept writing and took a bite of the food. “It’s fine,” she said.

When she finished the story, Jane went to the pay phone in the restaurant to call her twin sister. (This was before cell phones were available.) She read the story over the phone to her surprised sister. There was silence on the other end.

“Well, what do you think?” she asked. Still silence. She began to worry. Jane thought her sister must not like the story and was trying to figure out how to tell her it was a rotten idea.

At last Jane heard her sister sniffle and then reply. “I’m crying. I love it.”

# # #

About J.Q. Rose

After writing feature articles in magazines, newspapers, and online magazines for over fifteen years, J.Q. Rose entered the world of fiction writing with her first published novella, Sunshine Boulevard, released by Muse It Up Publishing in 2011. With Girls Succeed she returns to her first love, writing about real people. Blogging, photography, Pegs and Jokers board games, and travel are the things that keep her out of trouble. Spending winters in Florida with her husband allows Janet the opportunity to enjoy the life of a snowbird. Summer finds her camping and hunting toads, frogs, and salamanders with her four grandsons and granddaughter.

Connect with J.Q. Rose online at

Girls Succeed blog

http://girlssucceed.blogspot.com/

J.Q. Rose blog http://www.jqrose.com/

J. Q. Rose Amazon Author Page http://tinyurl.com/aeuv4m4





Your book sounds so interesting, J. Q. and one that many readers should enjoy.

Guests, don't forget to leave a comment for a chance to win a copy.

Happy Reading.

21 comments:

  1. Good morning, Beverly. Thanks so much for having me on your blog. I appreciate the opportunity to tell the world about Girls Succeed. I hope everyone will read about my book and jump over to my blog to find out more about your new release.

    http://www.jqrose.com

    Looking forward to a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to host you today, J. Q. Fun days are good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a book! So inspiring to young girls everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI JQ. I've always thought this a great book for young girls to build confidence, to show them, 'hey I can do it too.'

    Nice going with the interactive.

    Good luck on the sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Beth. J Q is giving away a copy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound inspirit, Kelly. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can all benefit from hearing more motivational and inspiring stories of creative and savvy woman. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth and Kelly, thank you...I appreciate your support for the "great idea."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Catherine. I would be satisfied if the stories inspire and empower one girl along the line, but I'm hoping there will be more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Catherine. I know I need a lot of inspiration at times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lorrie, you scooted in here and I didn't see your comment until now. Thank you for you kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so weird. I have an email showing that Lorrie has left a comment, but I can't see it here. J Q sees it. My computer or blogspot is messed up. Anyway, thank you, Lorrie, for stopping by. I agree that girls should find the book helpful.

    Maybe I'll see your post later. ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the post. Loved the snippet about the author. Great idea for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Creative writing, thanks so much. Glad you stopped in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beverly, I don't see Lorrie's comment here either. I just saw it in the comments emailed to me. I don't understand Blogger either. Maybe it will show up later?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Lorrie. Guess where I found your comment? Right. The spam folder. Now why didn't I think to look there? Several other comments were in the folder that were not spam. Sorry to all that I never responded to. Will check it from now on. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Creatovewriting (Janet). Thanks for stopping by. I hope your writing is coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will be drawing a winner for J Q's book later this evening. Good luck everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And the winner of a copy of J Q's book is ... drum roll ... Kelly Hashway. Drawn by Random org. Congratulations, Kelly. She'll be contacting you.

    ReplyDelete