Monday, January 21, 2013

FINN FINNEGAN REVIEW

She just keeps doing it. Author Darby Karchut gives us one delightful novel after another. I'm honored to share her latest with you. Watch for its release in March.




FINN FINNEGAN (Review)

By Darby Karchut

 

Fáilte. Welcome to a world of knights and magic, goblins and apprentices. A world where crows signal danger and warriors search for a lost Spear needed to save the Tuatha De Danaan (mythical Irish warriors) from the mythical Amandán creatures. Did you know all this adventure is going on in our very own world? Yes, it is. Beware of the people next door. They may not be exactly who you think they are.   

 

In Award Winning Author Darby Karchut’s latest novel for teens, FINN FINNEGAN, thirteen-year-old half human, half De Danaan, Finnegan MacCullen (call him Finn please) is beginning his apprenticeship with Knight Gideon Lir, of the Tuatha De Danaan, who have fought with the Amandáns for thousands of years. Told in alternating points of view between Finn and Gideon, along with journal entries, the author gives us a great glimpse into the minds of both mentor and apprentice as they face the Amandán that are growing in strength and boldness.

 

After following Griffin and his adventures in Darby Karchut’s Griffin Series (still one book to go), I knew I had to meet the characters in her new series, FINN FINNEGAN. Finn is everything I expected him to be. “Cheeky” (Gideon’s words) and hot-tempered, also sympathetic and loveable. In other words, a teen boy, um, with magical powers.  Beautiful imagery places the reader in each scene. For instance, “…the sun spilled over the rim of the earth.” Wow! Puts you right there, doesn’t it? Through Finn’s eyes, I witnessed the new day. I chanted the Song along with Finn while he held his late father’s moonstone meant to reveal the Amandáns’ true form.

 

Based on Celtic mythology, FINN FINNEGAN is the story of a boy in search of courage and the truth about himself. You’ll laugh with Finn. You’ll cry with Finn. You’ll feel his frustration when he makes mistakes. You’ll see Gideon’s love for his apprentice. FINN FINNEGAN is also a story about good and evil, family and friends, and how far one will go to protect those they love. The author includes a glossary of words and phrases. (See my greeting in the first paragraph.) Author Notes gives additional information about the sources behind the characters, songs, and places. There’s even a sneak peek of Book Two GIDEON’S SPEAR. Darby Karchut’s tween novel would make a great addition to school history classes and libraries, as well as your personal library. Highly recommended for lovers of fantasy and for readers who enjoy a good book with delightful characters so human they might be your neighbors. Except for their special abilities, that is. But you never know. The author has another winner with Finn.

###

Available at Amazon.
Darby Karchut is also giving away two signed copies at Goodreads.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Bev, for this delightful review! So glad you enjoyed my "other son." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "sons" are interesting young men. So real. I wonder what Finn and Gideon will reveal when they're interviewed. Must get to work on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not reading your review yet, Beverly, because I have this book waiting for me to read. :) I'll check out your review once I've finished it. I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read reviews when I'm reading a book either, Kelly. I'm easily influenced and want my own thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This series sounds so good! I must start this series! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a good one, Jess. Great characters. We have to wait until 2014 for the next one though.

    ReplyDelete