Friday, October 12, 2012

THE WISHING WELL

Have you ever wished for something in your life to change, to be better or different? I have. Well, sometimes wishes come true, though not always in the way we expect them to. My dear friend and crit partner, Kai Strand, has written a second book about people that live in the town called The Tales. I think you'll enjoy THE WISHING WELL, ANOTHER WEAVER TALE. And isn't the cover gorgeous?



My thoughts:

THE WISHING WELL, ANOTHER WEAVER TALE (Review)

By Kai Strand



One of my favorite stories when I was younger (and even today) is the tale of Cinderella and her two despicable sisters. I love how in the end Cinderella wins the love of the handsome prince, while her sisters and stepmother get what I feel like they deserved.

Author Kai Strand’s novel, THE WISHING WELL, ANOTHER WEAVER TALE, written for middle grade/tween readers, tells the story of a girl named Molly and her two sisters, Hannah and Eva, who treat Molly much the same way that Cinderella’s sisters treated her. Poor Molly’s life is constant cooking for a mother she can never please, doing the laundry for all of them, and cleaning the already spotless house. If her friend, Riddle, did not help Molly, she’d never have time for herself, to attend school or to paint. The girls live with their mother, Gert, in the town of The Tales. Gert’s plan is to snag a good husband for her daughter Eva and one for Hannah as well.

One day, Molly meets Unwanted, an ugly blue creature from the first book in the series, THE WEAVER. He grants Molly a wish. It doesn’t turn out quite the way she had hoped, however. Or does it?

The tales the characters weave about the events occurring in their lives are a charming part of the book. Kai Strand has written a story that would make a great addition to school libraries as well as individual classrooms. I can picture this book as one the class would read together since it would make for an interesting discussion about being careful what you wish for and also that people are not always what they seem. This would make a great Christmas gift for young readers in your family or that you know. Enjoy.

###

Happy Reading.
 

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a lovely review, Beverly! I'm so blessed to have you in my life because without your support these books would NEVER come together! Beautiful new picture, by the way. You have such an engaging smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Kai, you have a way with words and your books are meant to be. I love these sweet stories and would have them in my classroom if I were still teaching. Glad you like the review.

    They took pictures at church for a new directory; otherwise, I wouldn't have a new one. Hate having my picture taken.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - another great book from Kai! And I agree, the new picture of you, Bev, is stunning. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the wisher not getting exactly what they expected out of it. That's very true to life. The book sounds lovely. Good luck to Kai! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Darby.I always think I look goofy. Guess that's the real me, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Lexa, if all our wishes came true the way we want them to, we'd probably be bored or never satisfied. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is, Beth. The characters are so life like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review! I wish I had a wishing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be nice to have our own Wishing Well, wouldn't it.

    Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading updates on classic stories. I can just imagine what a Cinderella type might wish for (and how the wish might not turn out as expected)... be careful what you wish for, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review, Beverly. Kai is great. I'm so happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're absolutely right, Nickie. Be careful what you wish for, specifically how you word your wish. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Kelly. Kai does write lovely stories. She has more to come, too.

    ReplyDelete