Saturday, August 4, 2012

MORE PUZZLES FOR THE PUZZLE LOVER

I hope you're having a restful or exciting weekend, whichever you prefer. In case you get bored or need something for a hot summer afternoon, you might try one of the Grabarchuk Family's puzzle books. Here are my thoughts on the latest one I read.

100 MATCHSTICK PUZZLES (Review)

By the Grabarchuk Family


Matches are for lighting candles and logs in fireplaces, right? Toothpicks are for picking your teeth or maybe your fingernails, right? Well, not always.

In The Grabarchuk Family’s book, 100 MATCHSTICK PUZZLES, you solve the puzzles using matchsticks as the title suggests, or other suitable playing pieces. An introduction gives the history of match stick puzzles. The puzzles in this collection are all original creations by the Garbarchuk family. You can play them on your Kindle or apps, like my iPad. The rules are easy to follow, and, each puzzle gives you a hint if you need it. Boy, did I use the hints. My mind just isn’t wired for games and puzzles. But sometimes we need to challenge ourselves to new things, and these definitely were a challenge for me. What helps people like me is that you can start with the simple puzzles and advance to more complicated ones. Then when you think you’ve solved the puzzle, check the Solution tab to see if you’re right.

I made a duck swim in a different direction. I even figured a couple of puzzles out without looking at the solution. The book is in full color. The puzzles consist of everything from hexagons, triangles, and squares to wigwams, rabbits, cats, horses, and arrows. Now, are you ready to play? I haven’t solved all the puzzles, but they’ll be nice to work on during these hot Texas afternoons, sitting in the cool house, and exercising my brain. Happy puzzling.

EBook Courtesy of the authors

###

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Beverly. Thanks for sharing your review of this book. Sounds like the puzzles are fun to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are, even though I'm not much of a game/puzzle person. They do make me think, though, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments made the book of puzzles sound lively, colorful and fun for the entire family. You reminded me of when my mom and I played gin rummy in the 70s.
    Good old days. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old fashioned way, Lexa. No electronics. I remember too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love puzzles and it seems to run in our family. Thanks for the book review. It would be a super present for one my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think kids would do great with the puzzles, Lee.They'd probably start out with the compllicated ones. :) I haven't been brave enough to try them yet. :)

    ReplyDelete