Friday, July 27, 2012

Hummers

Today is a random day, where I'm talking about something other than reading and writing.The hummingbirds are keeping me entertained lately. I have three feeders set up, but for several weeks they seldom came around. I guess they had plenty of flowers for nourishment. The past couple of days they've been hovering around the feeders and also chasing each other away.

The best I can tell, we have a pair of black chin and a pair of ruby throats, and let me tell you, they do not share their food willingly. When one bird flies in to eat, another one will swoop down and run him or her off. I keep telling them there's plenty of sugar water for them all. I change it every two days to keep it fresh. They are entertaining to watch. I just wish I could find a nest. Haven't so far.

Do you have humming birds in your yard? Here are a few pictures of the wee ones. Enjoy.


I taut I taw a putty cat!


Who are you looking at?




Resting!


Have a nice weekend.

6 comments:

  1. How cool. My in-laws have a hummingbird feeder out in their yard. I know in past years, they've had hummingbirds come and use the feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a lot of fun to watch, Susanne. I just wish I could find a nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has a hummingbird that uses her feeder every day and the thing is totally camera shy. Every time she gets her camera, it flies away. She's determined to catch it on film one day though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds we have this year are camera shy too, Kelly. I've tried to take pictures but they fly away, like you say they do for your mother. These pictures are from a couple of years ago when the birds seemed to pose for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't put up a hummingbird feeder this year, but they are around. They seem to fly around my apple trees for some reason. We've got lots of butterflies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe somehow they get nectar or something from the apples, Janet. They feed on some flowers and tiny insects. We have few butterflies this year. Too dry, nothing for them to eat.

    ReplyDelete