Tuesday, July 10, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOTHER

Today, July 10, is my mother's 100th birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOTHER, in Heaven.

Mom is on the right, and yep, that's me she's carrying. The lady on the left was a dear friend. Years ago a photographer took pictures of you on the street. I don't know why neither of them are smiling. Perhaps they didn't want their picture snapped. Or maybe their feet hurt. She loved birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's, any day she had an excuse to celebrate and buy little gifts for her two daughters. She was born in Brooklyn, NY, and rode the Orphan Train to Bowie, TX when she was 9 years old. She was a beautiful Christian woman who accepted her life and found a home with a wonderful foster family that loved her.
Hi, Mom.
Love you.

17 comments:

  1. It's beautiful to see her holding you like that!
    (And I'm a little envious of that hat--why don't we wear ones like that today?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Faith. I remember all the ladies wearing hats to church. I don't know when all that changed, but I like hats too. Have a couple in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing; what a blessing to read about your dear momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Dani. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty picture and a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, Beverly. It's very touching you continue to celebrate your mom's birthday. It's a lovely picture and you were cute even then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. Thanks, Lexa. Mother loved any occassion to celebrate and always made a big deal on our birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Beverly! Happy Birthday to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet photo and Happy Birthday post to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Ruth. It's one of my favorite photos of my mother and me.

    ReplyDelete