Tuesday, July 31, 2012

AUDIO BOOK OF MEMOIRS...

Last week I posted a review for MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND by Matthew Dicks. In case you missed it, I'm posting it again below. But did you know the book is also available as an audiobook from Macmillan Audio? I had no idea until Esther Bochner, Senior Publicist for Macmillan Audio, contacted me and asked if I'd like to post a clip of the book. Of course, I would.
Here it is. I hope I've done it right. Never posted an audiobook before. I've also added my review as a reminder of the beautiful story Matthew Dicks wrote. Enjoy.

You can hear the clip at http://media.us.macmillan.com/video/olmk/macmillanaudio/MemoirsOfAnImaginaryFriend.mp3



My review:


MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND (Review)

By Matthew Dicks


Many children have an imaginary friend. Whether they’re lonesome and are looking for a friend, or they’re shy and don’t relate well to others, or they’re creative and imagine a character like they read about in books, their make-believe friend is just as real to them as a flesh and blood person.

Author Matthew Dicks has written a story about Budo, who has been alive for 5 years, quite a long time for imaginary friends to exist. In MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND, Max is a child that is different to other kids. People confuse Max, so he imagines Budo. Told from Budo’s pov, he sometimes seems so real I forgot he actually was in the mind of Max. Seeing his boy, Max’s parents and teacher’s through Budo’s eyes brings a whole new perspective to the reasons a child might create a friend that only he can see, hear, and talk to. And when the unthinkable happens (no, I’m not going to give away the story) Budo’s reaction shows just how real “imaginary” can be. At least it does to me. The heartache a child who is different suffers, the friendship between Budo and Max, and the fact that what happens to Max is happening to many of our children today make this a book that every school library, public library, and even private homes will want on their shelves.

MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND deals with bullying, family, friendship, and trust. It isn’t easy being an imaginary friend, knowing that someday your child will no longer need you and you’ll cease to exist. Budo almost seems human at times as he attempts to understand what’s happening around him. The author has written a story that may make you remember an imaginary friend you once had, perhaps not so long ago.

###

ARC courtesy of St. Martin’s Press and Net Galley

6 comments:

  1. What a great clip. Of course I've met Budo. He has a wonderful story to tell. The clip is short. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool audio clip, and intense, but fascinating topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Beverly. Thanks for sharing the audio clip and your review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about listening to books, Kelly. It would give the old eyes a rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Susanne. I like the audio.

    ReplyDelete