Friday, June 8, 2012

MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME

I'm curious. How many of you work on more than one story at a time? If you do, how do you manage to keep the characters and plot lines straight? Or is it a problem?

At the moment, I'm revising two manuscripts. One is a YA Contemporary, the other is a MG/Tween contemporary. Since they're for different ages, the characters have different issues to deal with. Finding the time to work on each one is a challenge, however. I do better if I stay with one each day rather than try to revise both the same day. So three days a week I usually work on one. The other three days I work on the other. It only takes a few minutes to reread the previous pages and catch up with the characters and their stories. Then it's revise, revise, revise. This is where I read the comments from my crit partners, too. They're so good and helpful.

What works best for you?

Have a nice weekend. Happy reading.

10 comments:

  1. Mostly I do the same thing, switch between stories from day to day. However, I might end up writing or revising a short story the same day I work in a novel. Really, because the characters/settings are different, it isn't difficult. It is like leaving work and stopping at the store. You just change your mannerisms.

    Interesting question though, because I've never actually thought about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only do one at a time, although I have worked on a fiction and a non-fiction book at the same time. I think that was only because they use different areas of the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of it like leaving work and going shopping, but it is. And short stories are different.

    I'm still so excited for you with your forthcoming books. What you're doing is working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably be less confused, Diane, if I worked on one story at a time. My brain would thank me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can work on one novel and one short story at a time. Or a client's manuscript and one of mine, but never two of my novels. I find that too confusing. It's odd too because I can read three books at once and keep them all straight. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, Kelly. I guess when you read you're not worrying about plotting or characters, just enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit to a lot of switching at times. At other times I'm focused and dedicated to one piece. I work on what I'm passionate about at the time, then what I need to tidy up for publication.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really, I think you have the right idea, Lee. If you're passionate for a story you need to work on it while you're excited about it. Maybe sneak in a page or two on the others on your mind too. Whatever works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do, but that may be part of the reason I have a hard time finishing things.

    I also can't read more than one book at a time because I find it hard to concentrate on the different story lines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've considered writing just one book at a time, Susanne, but the other stories keep nagging me, so I go back to them and end up working on two or three at the same time. I'm weak. :)

    Now I can read a couple of books at the same time, this is mostly when I'm reviewing one and reading one I've bought.

    ReplyDelete