Friday, May 4, 2012

THE WATER CYCLE

I just read the latest picture book written by Mayra Calvani, a dear friend and super author, and can't wait to tell you about it.


Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. Her children’s picture books include Crash, The Magic Violin, Humberto, the Bookworm Hamster, Frederico, the Mouse Violinist, The Doll Violinist, The Water Cycle: Water Play Series Book I and the upcoming The Fox in the Night. She’s had over 300 reviews, articles, stories and interviews published online and in print. She’s represented by Mansion Street Literary Management. Visit Mayra: www.mayrassecretbookcase.blogspot.com

THE WATER CYCLE, BOOK 1


  • Paperback: 20 pages
  • Publisher: Guardian Angel Publishing, Inc (March 15, 2012)
  • Illustrator: Alexander Morris
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1616332379
  • ISBN-13: 978-1616332372

  • My Review:

    Rain. Hail. Snow. Blizzards. Some people love to watch raindrops tap against the windowpane on a drizzly day. Others prefer to play in the snow and build snowmen and throw snowballs at friends. If you or your children are wet weather lovers, can you explain to your wee ones how the rain forms and what happens to the water when it reaches earth?
    If you need help, Author Mayra Calvani’s new picture book, THE WATER CYCLE, WATER PLAY SERIES BOOK 1, will take you on a delightful journey through the water cycle. The book begins with the water droplets huddled inside the cloud until they’re too heavy, when they fall to earth. The different types of rain are described, from drizzle to downpour, from hail to snowflakes, and to everything in between. What makes the book so much fun, to me, are the questions the book asks the reader. This involves the child to not only read the words and look at the illustrations, but to think about the effect rain or snow or floods have on people. Speaking of the illustrations, Alexander Morris has created characters with personality. What do I mean by that? Has a raindrop ever winked at you? Or what about the tiny raindrops with … I think I’ll let you find them for yourself when you read the book.
    THE WATER CYCLE would be a great book for Kindergarten, first, and second grade classroom science lessons. Students would have fun while they were learning. If it had been available, I would have used the book in my third grade classes when I was teaching. The book ends with activities for the children to do. I imagine young readers will want to read about the rain over and over. This is the first in a series. I’m looking forward to the others.

    ###



    12 comments:

    1. Mayra sounds wonderful! I'm really encouraged by reading about her. Thanks so much for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Bev,

      Thank you for the wonderful review of Mayra's book. We appreciate your time! Mayra's book is a must have for classrooms and home libraries. It is indeed a fun way to learn about the water cycle,

      All the best,
      Donna

      ReplyDelete
    3. You're welcome, Sheri. Mayra's books are all great reads.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I've enjoyed all of Mayra's books, Donna. She definitely has a talent for writing picture books.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Mayra writes such awesome picture books. Makes me wish I taught a younger grade!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Yes, she does, Darby. There are so many neat books out that that I'd have loved to use when I taught 2nd and 3rd grades.

      ReplyDelete
    7. What a great series for kids! I love "The Water Cycle."

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hi Beverly! Thanks for sharing your review of THE WATER CYCLE. It sounds like a great book. I think elementary school teachers would find this a wonderful tool in the classroom.

      ReplyDelete
    9. It is a neat book, Lee. I taught 5th grade science and it could even be used for that age. Maybe add some more difficult activities.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I agree, Susanne. The questions the book asks will make the students think more about what they read.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Gosh, I'm so sorry I'm late for this chat. What a wonderful surprise to run into on a Sunday evening.

      Beverly, thank you so much for the kind words and for the lovely review. And thank you all for your generous words and for your comments. I'm so honored and flattered. Really, thanks, ladies. You made my day! :-)

      Mayra

      ReplyDelete
    12. Hi, Mayra. It was my pleasure to read your book. I'd love to see it in elementary classrooms, as well as family's homes.

      ReplyDelete