Friday, May 25, 2012

FIRESEED ONE

Do you enjoy visiting new worlds with characters you'll either like or hate or maybe a little of both? If so, then you must read Catherine Stine's YA Novel FIRESEED ONE. Here are my thoughts about the story.


Don't you just love this cover? Catherine illustrated the book herself.

The Review


FIRESEED ONE
By Catherine Stine
Illustrated by Catherine Stine

Sometimes the people we know are not who we think they are, even if they’re our parents. Sometimes our worst enemy turns out to be the person we care about the most. Life changes, and we often find ourselves having to make tough decisions. In Author Catherine Stine’s young adult novel, Fireseed One, eighteen-year-old Varik faces challenges he never dreamed of when he inherits a sea farm after his father’s death. Since his mother was murdered years earlier, Varik is now left alone to carry on the important business of growing food for people in many of the sectors of Ocean Dominion that depend on the produce from Varik’s farm.

Problems plague him from the start, and he soon finds himself on a mission with Marissa, a thief, to discover the whereabouts of his father’s pet project, Fireseed One, that could save the world from starvation. As the two teens search not only for the plants but for answers to questions about their families, their relationship changes from hostile and distrustful to the beginnings of love. A gentle love story between two former enemies is just the right touch for Catherine Stine‘s futuristic adventure. The author has developed a world with familiar places, like Kansas, Vegas, Black Hills, that now are so hot people must wear special suits to survive, and also new places under the sea where most of the world’s food is grown. It makes me wonder if someday our major food sources might come from the sea. An interesting thought.

The author’s illustrations complement the writing, giving the reader a glimpse into Varik’s and Marissa’s lives. I especially like the little fellow on page 245. What is it? You’ll have to read the book to see. The characters have faults like real people, which makes them more human. You’ll want to help them each time they face danger and decisions, at least I did. I recommend Fireseed One for science fiction lovers, adventure lovers, and readers who enjoy young romance. The book would be a great addition to middle school and high school libraries, too. The novel ends with another dilemma for Varik to solve that, in my opinion, is very creative. I just hope book two comes out soon.
###


9 comments:

  1. I've seen this book a lot over the past year. Need to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good one, Diane. I don't know when the next one will be out, but I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover along makes me want to read it, but your review REALLY makes me want to read it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover along makes me want to read it, but your review REALLY makes me want to read it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great story, Darby, and the illustrations inside are neat. More ya books should be illustrated, in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, supportive and balanced review, Beverly. I'm so happy for Catherine. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Beverly. I love that Catherine was able to illustrate this. I remember seeing her sketches on her blog. So fun to see the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lexa. Catherine wrote a lovely story. I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kelly. Yes, I remember first seeing her sketches on her blog. She's so talented.

    ReplyDelete