Monday, May 7, 2012

FIRE

Quote for the week:  Don't walk behind me...I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.  Albert Camus

At 2 AM Sunday morning I sat at my door and watched our neighbor's house burn to the ground. Thank heavens they escaped without injury. The cat woke them. The house was already filled with smoke. They had time to save nothing, but managed to get the vehicles out of the attached garage.

We live in the country so there's maybe half a football field between their house and ours. A lot of trees too. I couldn't see details; it was dark and no street lights. But I watched firetruck after truck bring water. We also have no water out here, so all the firefighters had was whatever their trucks carried. They came and went, doing what they could. The house, of course, burned to the ground.

As I watched, I was reminded of how temporary our earthly possessions are. The family will survive. Hopefully, they will rebuild. It's lonesome now, looking across the field, especially at night. Where once friendly lights glowed, now darkness hides the night creatures. I'm sorry their pets did not make it. But one cat was a hero.

The firefighters and other personnel that came to their aid, from the small area towns nearby, are also heroes.

Have a nice week and be thankful for your blessings.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your neighbors. Your post touched me so much. Such truth! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just awful, but at least everyone got out safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad. I will say prayers for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Darby, Kelly, and Susanne. Yes, they were blessed. They have insurance so that will help. I just think of all the pictures and personal stuff you can't replace.

    ReplyDelete