Friday, March 9, 2012

Bunnies and Cats Don't Go Together

Spring is in the air (except for the 32 degree temps and chilling rain yesterday). Birds are building their nests. Wildflowers cover the pasture. And cottontail babies (one of my favorite of God's creatures) huddle in their nests.

Enter Patches the cat. She's a hunter, as are most cats. Last week she brought me a tiny rabbit. His eyes were still closed; his ears lay flat, so he was less than nine days old. He wasn't injured though so, after Googling what to do with baby rabbits, I set out to find the nest. I had no idea where Patches found him. A patch of tall grass at the back of our yard seemed the likely place, so I settled the baby there, covered him with grass to keep him warm, and prayed he'd survive.

Spring forward to today, a week later. Again, Patches brought me a cottontail. God answered my prayers. I can't be positive, but I believe this is the baby from last week. He's a couple inches longer. His eyes are open, his ears standing up. He wasn't injured. So I shooed Patches and Tiger into the house and took the little guy to his nest, at least I think it is. Still no other bunnies were around, but the mother only comes to the nest at night.

Now, Patches and Tiger are restricted to the house, except the times I can go outside with them. Until the little guy leaves or is big enough to run away from the cats.

Speakin of Tiger, the little stray that was so sick. (I mentioned him above.) Good news there too. After many visits to the vet's office and bills that left a smile on the vet's face, Tiger is doing great. He eats like a horse. He plays like a cat, chasing balls and other toys. He stays out of Patches' way because she's not so friendly with him. And he loves to take walks with us. Sometimes I wonder if he's part dog. Has a cat ever owned you that loved to go on long walks?

Have a super weekend. Happy Reading and Writing.

10 comments:

  1. I never had a cat that loved to go on walks, but there used to be a skunk couple who loved to take their evening stroll with me. I was a teenager, sneaking out of the house for a cigarette (I no longer smoke, btw) and I always wondered if I was smelly enough that they mistook me for another skunk. Luckily they liked me and never sprayed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the cat didn't hurt the baby bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! You are so funny, Kai. I'm thankful the skunks liked you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Diane. It's a miracle because the cat was playing with him. But the one today looked healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how Tiger was doing. So glad he's healthy! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Good luck to the little bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Darby. Tiger's a little sweetie. Also a troublemaker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Beth. I've saved him twice now. The cats don't get in the yard now unless I'm with them. They aren't very happy. The bunny is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a hero, Beverly. How sweet to have your own Easter bunny in the back yard.

    We did have a cat, a Siamese, that walked with us. He followed my husband home one day, and we guessed he often took himself on strolls with passersby. But he stuck with us because he got a lot of walking time between the two of us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't thought of him being the Easter bunny, clee. I like it though. Siamese cats are beautiful. We had a himalayan one time that went on walks with us but he'd get tired and lie down in the road and we'd have to carry him the rest of the way. :)

    It seems like cats adopt people.

    ReplyDelete