Monday, February 13, 2012

THE CLOCKWORK GIANT Review

Today I have another debut novel I think you'll want to add to your TBR list.  The Clockwork Giant by Brooke Johnson.

The Review

Are you fascinated with machinery? Do gears intrigue you? Or are you like me, and your eyes glaze over when anyone talks about mechanics because you don’t understand how they work?

Whichever category describes you, you’ll learn a lot about machinery from Author Brooke Johnson’s debut novel The Clockwork Giant. Ms. Johnson explains in simple language that even I can understand the details of the project that our heroine, Petra Wade, and the university student and boy she comes to like, Emmerich Goss, are building. We travel back in time to 1860s England, a time when girls had few rights and Petra’s dream of being an engineer was just that - only a dream. She’s an orphan and lives in the slums. She sweeps the pawn shop, until one day, she meets Emmerich, and her life changes forever. They team up to build an automaton that might possibly save the world, or else destroy it. If she is discovered working with him, Emmerich will be marked for treason and Petra for death. The Clockwork Giant is a story of mystery, determination, and love between a boy and girl from different backgrounds. Will they succeed in making the world a better place in which to live, or will The Guild stop them?

It took me awhile to get into the story, but once I did, I couldn’t stop reading. The Clockwork Giant introduced me to a period in history that I wasn’t familiar with. The ending left me wanting to know more. The good news is that Petra and Emmerich‘s story will continue. The next book in The Chroniker City Series will be out in the winter of 2012. I’m looking forward to learning what happens next. Can our heroine overcome the obstacles that await her and Emmerich? Ms. Johnson’s book would make a good addition to high school libraries where students could experience a time in history quite different from the one they live in.

EBook courtesy of the author

###

4 comments:

  1. LOVED this book! I can't wait for the next one. You hear me, Brooke? Get writing! Thanks for the great review, Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! It is a great story. I'm looking forward to the next one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I have to say that I like the title and cover of the book. Beverly, thanks for sharing your review of the book. It sounds interesting and I'll be putting it on my TBR book list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, Susanne. I think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete