Friday, September 23, 2011

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF AUTUMN

I tried and tried to get the graphic posted. I've done it before, but today for some reason it won't show up. Just when I think I know all the answers, they change all the questions. It really is a pretty welcome to autumn. This is my favorite season. Especially this year after such a hot, dry summer. After this week's rains, the field is greening up a little. Yesterday, rain lillies were blooming in the pasture. The newspaper today showed pictures of monarch butterflies that are now migrating south for the winter. Usually we have some that feed off the wildflowers and roost in the trees as they pass through. I haven't seen any this year. No wild flowers except the lillies that only last a day or two. No water in the the pond. There are a couple of bright spots. My Texas sage that I thought would die this summer have perked up and even have a few blooms. I managed to snap pictures of several quail, a scissortail, and a young Mississppi kite. Life is good.




My son corrected me and said this is a Cooper's hawk. So what do I know? :)





Bobwhite Quail - They make a lovely call - "Bob White, Bob White"

Scissortail - Notice the long beautiful tail. I wish the colors were brighter so you could see better.

While we're on the subject of animals, I recently read a book that I won in a contest (love contests) called A Buffalope's Tale, by Philip Caveney, a story about a ... buffalope, of course. From the jacket flap:

"From the bestselling Sebastian Darke stories, Max the talking buffalope - Sebastian's hairy, surly sidekick - now takes centre stage to show you how his adventures began. Along the way he develps his wise-cracking role, shows off his combat skills and gets in plenty of moaning practice, shaping him to become the perfect companion for a young boy with adventure in his heart."


Told from Max's point of view, this is a story that will make you laugh and make you cry. At least it did me. I haven't read the Sebastian Darke stories, so I met the little buffalope for the first time here. Now, Max would make a very interesting pet. You'd never get bored, that's for sure.

Published by The Book Build Ltd., Great Britain, 2010.
ISBN: 978 1 84624 563 3 

Have a nice weekend.

Happy Reading and Writing. 

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! I LOVE raptors, they are so fierce and beautiful...and I have a soft spot for the smaller, nicer birds too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Faith. I enjoy watching the birds. They're fascinating.

    ReplyDelete