Monday, July 11, 2011

Cinder and Ella Review

Dance like nobody's watching. Love like you can't be hurt. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth. From the country song It's Gotta Come from the Heart, Kathy Mattea.

I just finished a neat novel and would like to share it with you.

Hardcover: 280 pages

Publisher: Cedar Fort, Inc. (November 8, 2011)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 1599559064

ISBN-13: 978-1599559063





CINDER AND ELLA Review
By Melissa Lemon

ARC courtesy of Cedar Fort and Net Galley

CINDERELLA is one of my favorite fairy tales. When I was a kid I’d listen to it on the radio, where actors read the parts of Cinderella and her wicked stepmother and sisters. Yes, this was before TV. Cinderella was beautiful. And the prince was … in my young imagination he was handsome and gentle and kind. I loved the ending where Cinderella and the prince lived happily ever after.

If you’re expecting a sweet romantic story like the original CINDERELLA in Author Melissa Lemon’s novel, CINDER AND ELLA, forget it. The prologue sets the reader straight in a hurry. Ms. Lemon’s story has no fairy godmother, no glass slipper, no wicked stepmother and no wicked stepsisters. Instead, the author tells the “true” story of a family consisting of a father who disappeared several years ago, a mother and four sisters: Katrina, Cinder, Ella, and Beatrice. And what a story it is. There is a handsome prince. Now, I don’t want to give anything away, but he’s, shall we say, not the prince from the original Cinderella. Cinder goes to live in the castle and does fall in love with Prince Monticello, but as for living happily ever after ... Well, I’m not saying, but you’ll be surprised at the outcome, I think. I know I was.

Trees that are linked to the lives of the characters, the sisters’ missing father, and Knight Tanner from the castle (who is in my opinion the true hero of the story) make for a read that will keep you wondering what happens next. The story has a lot of plot twists and turns, so many at times that I had to really concentrate to keep up with them all. Also, the mixed points-of-view, jumping from scene to scene sometimes felt rushed, and I wasn‘t ready to go on to the next scene yet. Of course, those are just my thoughts. There’s plenty in the novel to like: interesting characters, mysteries in the castle tower, secrets revealed, and the discovery that people are not always what they seem. Also, there are many questions to be answered. Will Ella find her father? Will Cinder and Prince Monticello get together? Will Ella and Tanner live happily ever after? You’ll have to read the book to find out.

Melissa Lemon has written a novel that should appeal to readers who love fantasy, a bit of romance, and characters that will stay with you for a while after reading the last page. Enjoy the journey and trying to solve the puzzles before the characters solve them.

###

2 comments:

  1. Great review, but I don't know about this one. I need a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like happy endings too.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete