Monday, July 18, 2011

Boyfriends, Anniversaries, and Contests

This week promises to be hectic but fun. First, I have a review to share with you.



Pub. Date: April 2010
Publisher: Zondervan
Sold By: ZONDERVAN PUBLISING HOUSE


BOYFRIENDS, BURRITOS AND AN OCEAN OF TROUBLE (Review)

By Nancy Rue


Paperback courtesy of Zondervan and Z Street Team


We read about it almost every day or hear it on the radio or TV. Girl/woman abused by boyfriend/husband. Or it might be boy abused, as well. Many times the abuse has been going on for weeks, months, even years. So why does the victim allow it to continue? Why don’t they tell the authorities, their parents, or a good friend?

Author Nancy Rue’s novel, BOYFRIENDS, BURRITOS AND AN OCEAN OF TROUBLE, deals with the subject of abuse. Through her fictional characters, Bryn and her abusive boyfriend, Preston, the author provides a glimpse into possible reasons people do not report what’s happening to them. Preston is popular, good looking, and Bryn thinks she’s lucky to be his girlfriend. She keeps quiet about his hitting her, until they are in an auto accident and the truth is revealed. When her father insists on pressing charges against Preston, Bryn learns just how far Preston will go to protect his reputation and his future.

Bryn’s mother and sister are away. That leaves Bryn and her father, who avoid discussing what they don’t want to talk about, to deal with what soon escalates into threats and intimidation unless they drop the charges. Can Grandmother Mim who comes to stay until Bryn's mother returns home and gives Bryn surfing lessons while helping her through the days leading up to the trial and the trial itself, a book called RL (Real Life) that tells Bryn stories about Jeshua, and Shaun, a gorgeous new guy, help Bryn overcome her distrust of boys and put her life back together?

The author has written a story that anyone who’s been in the same situation as Bryn can relate to. They’ll understand her reluctance and fear to tell on the abuser. Perhaps seeing how Bryn deals with the situation will encourage them to act. This novel would make a good supplemental reader for classrooms to let young people know they’re not alone and they need to admit the truth to stop the abuse. Also, the book would be a useful resource for school counselors when dealing with their subjects. I recommend this novel for teen readers and their parents, as well.

###

Next, YAAYNHO (Young Adult Authors You Never Heard Of) is celebrating our 1st anniversary with a huge giveaway. If you like free stuff (I do) find details at  the YAAYNHO Blog. (Prize pack 2) and here for Prize Pack 1. Soon there will be an  announcement of a really big prize. Good luck to all.

Third, I'm having a little contest too. I've mentioned before that 2011 is the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. I will be giving away a copy of my YA historical novel, Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines, finalist in the 2011 Next Generation Indie Book Awards, Novella Division. I like simple, so my rules are simple. All you have to do is leave a comment and tell us if you've ever worn a crinoline or lived in a cave. You don't have to tweet it or anything, but you will get an extra point if you do. Please include your email so I can contact you. Thanks.The contest will end July 29.

My story: I wore a crinoline (of sorts) when I was in high school. I went to a school dance in this formal gown that reached to my ankles. My petticoat had a hoop around the bottom. I think my mother made it. She was really good at sewing and made most of my clothes. Anyway, the fun part was that I couldn't sit down because the hoop would fly up when I did. Embarrassing. I had a good time anyway.

I've never lived in a cave but visited Carlsbad Caverns once. It was dark and scary.

I was going to have a 100 follower celebration, but one went away so there are only 99. Some day. :)

Have a good week. Happy Reading and Writing.  

8 comments:

  1. Oh, great review! I'm going to tell my school counselor about this. Now I'm heading over to sign up the prize pack!

    And another round of applause for your Indie Award. I was showing off your book and sticker to my husband just yesterday! Wheeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, Darby. It is a super book with a good message for teens. I've read several of Nancy Rue's books and really like them.

    Good luck. There's a special giveaway Christine will post soon.

    Aw, thanks. :) You're next.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After working with foster kids, I understand that abuse is something many people don't want to admit.
    #100 will happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine it would be hard to tell parents or authorities, L. Diane.

    I know. It really isn't that important. Just thought it was nice then it disappeared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review of the book. It is a topic that needs to be talked about. Victims need to know that the abuse is not their fault, as they are often made to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Susanne. You're absolutely right. Life gets twisted around sometimes, where the victim is portrayed as the bad guy. I'm donating this book to the library so perhaps teens can read it and maybe be encouraged to tell what's happening in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Carlsbad Caverns. I hope to get back there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rena, I remember how cool and dark it was when they turned out the lights. Carlesbad Caverns might be the place to be right now, considering our weather. :)

    ReplyDelete