Monday, June 6, 2011

Are you a little SUNSTRUCK?

Happy Monday, Everyone. Today, I'm posting my review of SUNSTRUCK, by Mayra Calvani, a great author and also a dear Cyber friend.
 
Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults. She’s co-author of The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing, a ForeWord Best Book of the Year Award winner. She’s had over 300 stories, articles, interviews and reviews published. In addition, she’s co-editor of Voice in the Dark ezine. A reviewer for more than a decade, she now offers numerous book reviewer workshops online. She’s represented by Mansion Street Literary. Visit her website at
www.MayraCalvani.com. For her children’s books, visit www.MayrasSecretBookcase.com.

Interested in one of her reviewing workshops? Contact Mayra at mayra.calvani@gmail.com.

Subscribe to Voice in the Dark: http://voice-in-the-dark.com

Twitter URL:
http://twitter.com/mcalvani

Facebook Fan Page URL:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayra-Calvanis-Fan-Page/162383023775888?created


  • Paperback: 236 pages

  • Publisher: Zumaya Embraces (March 3, 2009)

  • Language: English

  • ISBN-10: 9781934841181

  • ISBN-13: 978-1934841181

  • ASIN: 1934841188







  • Review of SUNSTRUCK, by Mayra Calvani



    Take a college student studying architecture, her artist boyfriend who hates her cat whether he (the boyfriend) is strung out on LSD or sober, her ex-husband and his new wife, AKA Lady Dracula, who keeps bottles of blood in the fridge. Add an atheist friend in love with a priest, a Zorro look-a-like who goes around slashing the rear ends of women wearing mini-skirts, and a mother who may just be involved in a women’s revolution against Zorro. Mix them all together, and you have a story that will make you laugh until the tears roll. You’ll also play the guessing game of who did what and why.

    Author Mayra Calvani’s novel SUNSTRUCK introduces the reader to Daniella and a cast of zany characters, along with some unexpected plot twists along the way. Just when I thought I knew all the answers new questions appeared, and I discovered I knew very little. Besides her studies at the university, Daniella works at Ismael’s, her ex-husband’s, hotel for animals, which isn’t quite what it seems. But then nothing in this book is. The author switches point-of-view characters in some of the chapters, giving the reader an inside glimpse at some very disturbed minds. Ms. Calvani has a gift for describing a scene that makes the reader, at least this reader, feel like she’s there, experiencing the events along with the characters. This book looks at the world though a cast of characters that made me laugh but also made me think how sad their lives are and how glad I am that they’re fictional characters. And when an author writes characters that you care about, she’s accomplished her goal. The author has done that in this novel.

    I’ve read Ms. Calvani’s picture books and her non-fiction books, but this is my first
    novel of hers to read. It won’t be the last. So if you’re looking for a book to lighten your mood, to brighten your day, or to relax with, pick up a copy of SUNSTRUCK. I think you’ll be glad you did. I’d like to see a sequel because I’m curious as to what happens to Daniella and her friends.

    Ebook courtesy of the author and Zumaya Publications.

    Happy Reading and Writing.

     

    7 comments:

    1. Sounds pretty zany! A hotel for animals? Wow!

      ReplyDelete
    2. It is zany, Catherine. Lots of weird stuff going on.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Defintely sounds like a zany/weird kind of read. Not like anything I've read lately. A lot different from other things I've read by Mayra. I just might have to give it a read. Beverly, thanks for sharing your review.

      ReplyDelete
    4. This book is different, Susanne. And while it's written for fun,the characters could be real because people often do the unexpected.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Not a book I would have picked out .. until I read your review... thank you x

      ReplyDelete
    6. Not a book I would have picked out .. until I read your review... thank you x

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thank you, Michelle. I always hope my reviews help. You never know about a book when you pick it up. I like to laugh though.

      ReplyDelete