Taste of Home will donate 10¢ to the USO for each unique visit to tasteofhome.com/flagcake from May 26, 2011 to July 4, 2011, up to $100,000.
- 15 Servings
- Prep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Photo by Taste of Home
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) French vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- Ice cubes
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer cake to a covered cake board. Cut a 5-in. x 4-in. rectangle (1/2 in. deep) in the top left corner of cake, leaving a 1/2-in. border at outside edges of cake. For red stripes, cut seven 1/2-in. wide rows across cake, about 1/2 in. deep, leaving a 1/2-in. border at outside edges of cake.
- In a small bowl, dissolve berry blue gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough ice cubes to measure 1-1/4 cups. Stir into gelatin until slightly thickened. Scoop out and discard any remaining ice cubes. Repeat, making strawberry gelatin.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 cup strawberry gelatin. In another bowl, combine blueberries and 1 cup blue gelatin. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or just until soft-set (save remaining gelatin for another use).
- Stir gelatin mixtures. Slowly pour blueberry mixture into rectangle; spoon strawberry mixture into stripes.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in the confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Add marshmallow creme; beat until light and fluffy. Spread 1 cup over sides and top edge of cake.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill the bag with remaining frosting. Pipe frosting in between rows of strawberry gelatin and around edges of cake. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until gelatin is set. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 438 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Flag Cake published in Taste of Home USO Flag Cake Campaign
So all you cake lovers, here you go. Happy baking.