Monday, April 18, 2011

Movies and Music

Quote of the week:  Scarlett O'Hara ( Vivien Leigh - from Gone with the Wind:)


"I can't think about this now. I'll go crazy if I do. I'll think about it tomorrow."

Like all wars from the beginning of time, I suppose, many movies have been made and songs have been written about the American Civil War. Here are some of my favorites, and there are many I don't even know about.

MOVIES:

Gone With the Wind: This movie gives us a look at the personal side of the war, how the men and women involved, either by going off to fight or staying home, praying for their loved ones to stay safe.  It is my favorite movie. Rhett Butler is such a scoundrel, but I love him anyway.

The Red Badge of Courage: This movie is also adapted from a novel. In this film we see the effects of war on young soldiers, whose experiences in battle will change their lives forever. It could very well apply to our young men and women in the military today.

Friendly Persuasion:  This movie is about how a Quaker family copes with the war.

Glory:  A great look at he freed slaves who served in the Union army. Denzel Washington won an Oscar for his role.

Do you have others that are your favorites?

BOOKS:

Gone With The Wind: As good as the movie is, the book is even better.

There are too many books to be listed, so I'm just mentioning some on my shelf that are for young readers.

The Tamarack Tree by Patricia Clapp.

Vicksburg, the Battle that Won the Civil War by Mary Ann Fraser.

The Boys' War, Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War by Jim Murphy.

The Charleston Years by Nancy Rue. This is a series of six books plus a teaching guide where children can learn America's history.

Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines. Well, of course I have to mention my book.

Here's the video, just out. Kim McDougall's beautiful work:


video


What are your favorite Civil War books? And if you don't read history, once upon a time I didn't read it either. Then I got started in genealogy and discovered history was about people who really lived. I learned about my mother's past and how she rode an Orphan Train when she was nine years old. I also visited places like Charleston, SC, that are filled with history. History is about men and women, their families and the circumstances that change their lives forever.

Someday, we will be history. I wonder what our descendants will read about us.

Happy Reading and Writing

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on your book! Sounds good. I just saw The Conspirator on Saturday, and it was excellent. Can't say that about many films these days. It focuses on the trial of Mary Suratt, the owner (southern family) of the boarding house where John Wilkes Booth frequented. She was used a scapegoat for her son, who was the real conspirator. It's a must-see for those interested in that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to read your book! And I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I haven't seen the Conspirator. Writing self a note to check on it.

    Thanks, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never was big on historical fiction until the past few years, but now I love it.

    Thank you, Kelly. I try to show both sides of the conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your book! I was never a historical fiction fan until recently, when I've found some real gems. I'm warming up to it now... :)

    I haven't read many books about the Civil War, and can't remember the ones I have read. I haven't seen to many movies, either, but I've enjoyed Gone With The Wind and Cold Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Tabitha. I was the same way. Historical fiction kind of grew on me.

    Oh, how could I forget Cold Mountain. Loved that book and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't that long ago that I watched Gone With The Wind. Good movie. Of course, Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is an excellent Civil War book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch Gone With the Wind every now and then. It was a sad time in our nation.

    Appreciate your kind words about Caves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I had forgotten about the Friendly Persuasion. It has a companion book called Except for Me and Thee. (My family has been Friends for generations!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard about the book Except for Me and Thee. Must look into it. Thanks, Darby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your book! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by Renae.

    I appreciate your kind words about Caves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael Shaara and his son, Jeff have written some of the best historical fiction about the Civil War:

    Killer Angels, by Michael
    Gods and Generals, by Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Christopher. Their books are the best. Thanks for mentioning them.

    ReplyDelete