Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Fun

It's Friday already? Where do the days go? Today, I'd like to spotlight a couple of books I read recently, for younger children.

Are you a soup lover? Whether you are or not, I think you'll enjoy reading Dumpling Soup by Jama Kim Rattigan. Jama is the winner of the first New Voices, New World contest, Little Brown and Company held in 1990. They received over five hundred manuscripts from all over the world. They chose Jama's lovely story about a young Asian-American girl and how she and her family celebrate the New Year.

From the book cover:
Jama Kim Rattigan is a third-generation Korean-American, born and raised on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.

The illustrations by Lillian Hsu-Flanders give the reader a wonderful glimpse into a new way to celebrate the New Year.

Reading level: Ages 4-8


Paperback: 32 pages

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (April 1, 1998)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 0316730475

ISBN-13: 978-0316730471

I was fortunate to win a copy of Dumpling Soup when Jama held a contest recently. An added bonus was the recipe for Jama's Dumpling Soup at the back of the book. I also now have a cute "No Soup for You" T-shirt.
 
This book would make a great read to show children that there's more than one way to celebrate a holiday.
 
The second book I'd like to talk about is also a book I won in a contest. Yes, I know. I'm a contest junkie. Love to enter them. And surprisingly, I sometimes win. Nine Things Nathan Noticed at Night, by Christy Baldwin, Illustrated by Sarah Barnes, is a story about "nine great things that happen when the sun sets for the evening." This is a short story of how God created the Earth.
 
At night Nathan sees stars. He sees nocturnal animals and so much more, but I won't give away what all he does see. A verse of scripture goes with each image of God's beautiful world. A nice quiet read to show the beauty around us.
 
Reading level: Ages 4-8


Paperback: 24 pages

Publisher: Tribute Books (April 1, 2005)

Language: English

ISBN-10: 9780976507215

ISBN-13: 978-0976507215

ASIN: 0976507218

From the Cover: Christy is a stay at home mom with plenty of time to write (ha,ha). She writes stories she thinks her two children will love, and she sometimes even writes about them.
 
For a quiet little story to remind us of God's work, Nine Things Nathan Noticed at Night is a good choice.
 
Happy reading.

4 comments:

  1. What a refreshing pause in a busy week to see this delightful books for our "little" readers! Thanks for this breath of fresh air, Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Darby. We musn't forget the wee readers, for someday they'll be the big readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I was just over at Lauren Hammond's blog, and noticed you had expressed interest in Meg Cabot's book, Abandon. I'm actually giving away an ARC of it on my blog, so stop by if you'd like to enter my contest for a chance to win!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gina. I just left a comment on your blog. Love your sense of humor. As for gray hair ... well ...

    ReplyDelete