Monday, March 7, 2011

Darkness Becomes Her

Quote of the Week:  The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

Here is my review of DARKNESS BECOMES HER, my latest read for the 2011 Debut Authors challenge.



Author: Kelly Keaton
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse (February 22, 2011)
ISBN-10: 144240924X
ISBN-13: 978-1442409248


 
 
 
 
 
DARKNESS BECOMES HER (Review)


Kelly Keaton

Take an ancient curse, a girl with secret powers who wants to know more about her mother’s death (suicide) and who her father was, add a boy with secrets of his own, other children who are not what they seem, gods and goddesses, and you have the recipe for a story that will keep you awake until the wee hours of the morning.

In Author Kelly Keaton’s debut novel, DARKNESS BECOMES HER, Ari Selkirk was given to the state of Louisiana after her mother’s suicide when Ari was four years old. Ari grew up in foster care, and now seventeen, she sets out to discover the truth about her heritage and why her mother left her only one message: Run. To unravel the puzzles of her life, Ari returns to the place of her birth, New 2, formally New Orleans before the hurricanes devastated the city. Is she ready, however, to face the truth about who she really is? Once she starts her quest there is no turning back, no matter the dangers she and her new found friends, who have their own troubles, encounter.

The characters in DARKNESS BECOMES HER, each with his or her on special abilities, are fascinating. The author keeps the plot moving with unexpected twists and turns, along with descriptions of the characters in their various forms that place the reader in the story, as if witnessing the events as they occur. If you enjoy lots of action, witches, vampires, and other unusual creatures, you’ll find them here. I would not recommend this book for young teens, however, because of the language. To me, cursing does not add to the story. It actually distracts me. Otherwise, a good read. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.


ARC courtesy of Simon & Schuster and Galley Grab

Have a nice week. Happy Reading and Writin.

6 comments:

  1. You are really doing great with your Challenge! You are a reading machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm really surprised too. I'm about to slow down though because I'm reading too much and not writing enough. The problem with these ARCs is that when they come out, the eVersion expires and I can't read them any longer. Will buy the next ones I review, so there's no hurry with them.

    How's your writing coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to juggle it all, isn't it? I'm really forcing myself to keep the promo stuff balanced with the writing. I'm polishing Book Two (again)and working on the first pages/outline of Book Three.

    And counting the days... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is. I want to write and I'm going to get back to it. At the same time, the promo is important.

    Polish away. :) I don't know how you do it, with your job. It won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your review of this book. It is on my TBR pile and wondered if it is all the hype. I totally agree about cursing. It does take away from the story if that is all your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Regina. It is a good story with some interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete