Monday, February 28, 2011

More Great Reads

Quote of the week: Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can  make the whole trip that way. E. L. Doctorow

I've been reading. Can't help myself. Reading is a lot more fun than vacuuming or washing clothes or all those other boring activities. Reading inspires me to write. How can it not when the stories speak to me, draw me into the lives of the characters in the books? I want my characters to come to life, to be remembered by the readers. No reviews today. They take too much time and I must work on my WIP. Here's just a little about my two latest reads.



once was lost
Sara Zarr, National Book Award Finalist
Little, Brown and Company
Oct. 2009
ISBN: 978-0-316-03604-7

From the back cover:

"Samara Taylor used to believe in miracles.
She used to believe in a lot of things.
But where there was once faith ... there are now only questions."







jumping off swings
Jo Knowles
Candlewick Press
2009
ISBN: 978-0-7636-3949-5


From the jacket flap:

Elie has hooked up with more than a few boys. Each time, she is certain there will be more to the encounter than just sex...

Told alternately from each character's point of view, this deeply insightful novel explores the aftershocks of the biggest decision of one fragile girl's life, and the realities of leaving innocence behind.

6 comments:

  1. Bev, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new look. So classy - just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful, Beverly. Thank you for sharing. And yes, reading is far more interesting than vacuuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classy? Me? Shucks. :)

    Thanks, Darby. I needed a change so tried this one for a while.

    Have a very nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Sheri, I'll take a good book any day over the vacuum. :)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Girl, my name is Gabriela, Brazilian. Can you post Encrossed (by elizabeth Chandler ) in PDF for download in my or in your blog? Pleas???????? I'm sorry but I don't speak english correct. So Long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again, Gabriela. I left a comment on your other post. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete