Wednesday, February 9, 2011

HAVEN Review

Quote for the week: Read, read, read. Read everything-trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the most. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out the window. William Faulkner

The second book I've read for the 2011 Debut Author's Challenge is Haven by Kristi Cook

Review:

Have you ever started a new school where the students were just a bit different? What if your new friends and classmates all have a secret, a secret they cannot tell to the outside world? When Violet McKenna enrolls at Winterhaven, she discovers that the school is not exactly what it appears to be. And she fits in just perfectly.

Author Kristi Cook’s debut novel, HAVEN, follows sixteen-year-old Violet as she meets other teens, who, like herself, each have a special gift. Violet sees visions. And they always come true. Now this is intriguing enough to keep you reading. Then throw in a gorgeous guy named Aidan, who is a trifle pale, and who can read Violet’s mind, and you have a story you’ll stay up into the early hours of the morning to read, wondering how Violet and Aiden will solve the problems they face when her visions are of Aidan and reveal that something terrible will happen to him. Violet is the only one who can save him.

 Ms. Cook has written a novel with characters that stay with you long after you put the book down. The plot flows smoothly, taking the reader from one scene to the next. She’s added danger, teen angst, and a tender romance that could be deadly for Violet as well as for Aidan. A great story that I recommend for every reader who enjoys a good book. This one is it.


Reading level: Young Adult


Hardcover: 416 pages


Publisher: Simon Pulse (February 22, 2011)


Language: English


ISBN-10: 1442407603


ISBN-13: 978-1442407602


Happy reading.

14 comments:

  1. Once again, Bev, you inspired me to get a copy of yet another book. HAVEN sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, Darby. (Better than Choker, in my opinion.) I used to didn't care for vampires. But lately I've discovered some of them are really nice guys, except for the blood-sucking part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review of Haven. Another book to add to my never ending TBR book list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. You're welcome. I hear you, Susanne. I had to put my TBR stack of books in the closet because it was getting top heavy and about to fall over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Beth. I thought it was neat. And true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fascinating story! Thanks for the lovely review, Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my TBR list and has such a beautiful cover. Thanks for the post. I want to read it even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Regina. I'm glad my review "inspired" you to want to read Haven more. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like an interesting book that teens will love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it should appeal to teen readers, too, Janet. So many books about vampires are coming out now. It's an epidemic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lOVED this book! Agreed, it has stayed with me for days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Terry, It's one of my favorites I've read for the 2011 debut authors. (Yours is on my list.)

    ReplyDelete