Monday, February 21, 2011

ANGELFIRE Review

Quote of the week: Only write from your own passion, your own truth. That's the only thing you really know about, and anything else leads you away from the pulse. Marianne Williamson

Today I'm reviewing the third book I've read for the 2011 Debut Author Challenge. If my former teachers could see me now, reading, they'd never believe it. I find it amusing too. And I'm enjoying every minute and every book.



ANGELFIRE

Courtney Allison Moulton

Harper Collins

384 Pages



Review:


Imagine discovering that you’re not really who you think you are. Imagine discovering that you have a past and that past includes the handsome, mysterious boy you just met. Angels, Guardians, reapers, immortals, good, evil, forbidden love, and characters that are not always what they seem come to life in ANGELFIRE, by Courtney Allison Moulton.


In the author’s debut novel, Elizabeth (Ellie) Monroe lives the life of a normal, wealthy, teenage girl. She wants a car for her 17th birthday, a party to remember, her parents to stop arguing, and to go to movies with her friends. She gets the car, an Audi. Her party is one she’ll never forget, but she has to make sure the guests will. Her parents, well, her mother is kind and loving; her father is the opposite. Soon real life adventures replace Ellie’s nights at the movies. She’s the Preliator, warrior, a few thousand years old. Will, the new guy in her life, is 600 years old and her Guardian, dedicated to keeping her alive. Ellie, a mortal, has died and been reborn many times. Now, together Ellie and Will must defeat the reapers who are preparing for Apocalyptic War. They also must fight the growing romance between them, for it’s not allowed.

Stories about angels are some of my favorites. I like Ellie. She has spunk. She’s not perfect, which makes her a more interesting character. She’s torn between two worlds, wanting on the one hand to be human and on the other to fulfill her destiny. A delicious revelation comes at the end of the story, along with a bit of sadness, at least to me. I’m glad there will be a second book about Ellie and Will, because their story cannot end this way. I recommend this book for angel lovers and for all readers who enjoy a little romance with their action. Ms. Moulton has done a nice job of creating characters the reader cares about. And oh what happens to the Audi. I’m not telling. There’s never a dull moment in ANGELFIRE. I think you’ll agree.


ARC Review Copy Courtesy of Harper Collins and Net Galley

See more at Amazon.

4 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my radar, but now I'm moving it to the top of my list.

    And an Audi is in danger?! NOOOOOO! (I drive an Audi. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You drive an Audi? Then be prepared. :) It's not a big part of the plot, but ads a bit of humor, unless you're the Audi.

    Great twist toward the end, except it doesn't really end cause there will be another book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote you shared, Beverly! O' so very true!

    EnJOYed your review, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ruthi. I agree. It is true.

    Appreciate your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete