Monday, January 17, 2011

Choker Review

Quote for the week: Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. Mark Twain

Today I'm reviewing Choker by Elizabeth Woods.

Reading level: Young Adult

Hardcover: 240 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (January 4, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 144241233X
ISBN-13: 978-1442412330
Hardcover: $11.55

 
 
 
 
This review is from the eGalley copy.
 
Zoe is Cara’s best friend. But sometimes people are not always what they claim to be, and Zoe is also Cara’s worst enemy. Do you enjoy suspense stories? Do you like a plot that keeps you guessing until the very end?


If you answered yes to any of the above, Elizabeth Woods’s debut novel, CHOKER, has all the ingredients to keep you reading far into the night. Cara, like most teenagers, wants to fit in, to belong. Instead, the other girls taunt and tease her; they laugh at and make fun of her. The only friend she has is Zoe. Zoe, however, has problems of her own. There’s also Ethan, the handsome athlete that Cara is attracted to. He has a girlfriend though. Then accidents start to happen, and Ethan’s girlfriend disappears.

The author developed her characters nicely. I liked Cara and was cheering for her to find happiness with Ethan. Yes, I like a good romance along with the suspense. The author also created characters that I hoped would get what they deserved. The only problem I had with the story was at the beginning when so many names were introduced. At first I was confused, but later, the characters came to life for me, especially the major characters. This is a fine debut novel, containing mystery, suspense, and a bit of romance. You might want to read it with the lights on.

Happy Reading and Writing.

11 comments:

  1. I found the cover of the book interesting. Thank you for sharing your review of the book. I'm going to add this to my TBR book list, because I want to learn more about the characters you've mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It kept me guessing, Susanne. There were some surprises too. At least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your TBR pile growing, growing, growing, like mine is, Darby? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, Bev! The foundation of my house is cracking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun read! I'm partial to romance as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those teen years were so traumatic, Susan, with crushes and love so personal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. does anyone have any info on Elizabeth Woods? if so please email me at sarahrcrabb@gmail.com with info!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could help Sarah, but just read her book. I have no other information. Hope you find someone that does.

    ReplyDelete