Monday, December 27, 2010

From Party Lines to Skype and Beyond

Quote of the week: Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. William Wordsworth

This weekend we talked to our granddaughter in Prague, using Skype.  Her sister has the program on her computer. Wow! Amazing. There her pretty face was, on the computer screen. We could see her. She could see us. To most of you, this may be nothing new, but it was my first time. It also got me to thinking how fast our world changes.

When I was a kid (I know, it's hard to remember that far back) we had a telephone. We also had another family or two, can't recall how many, on the same line. So sometimes you'd pick up the receiver to call a friend and you'd hear another conversation. Now this could prove very interesting. However, my mother would make my sister and me hang up. It wasn't polite to listen in on another's conversation. Besides, they could tell you were there and might do the same to you.

Finally, we had a private line. I don't remember details, but we could call anytime we wanted to, without another person interrupting, saying they needed to call a friend or family member.

Fast forward many years. I now have a cell, compliments of our son and his family. They gave it to me a few years ago and I didn't use it for a long time. I hadn't a clue how. Now, I carry it everywhere I go. It has proved very valuable at times, like when hubby's in the hospital and I need to call someone but want to stay with him. I still haven't learned to text on it, probably never will, but I can call another person, which is very good for me.

It doesn't have all the extra gadgets the newer phones have, but it works fine. Just when I think I've moved into modern times and am really up to date on technology, along comes Skype. Now I'm starting over again. I hope to add Skype to my line of communication some day. Neither of my computers have cameras on them, however, so I'll have to wait.

By the time I master using Skype, (if ever) something new will be out and I'll be outdated once again.

So what's next in the world beyond? It should be interesting, whatever it is.

Happy reading, writing, and skyping.

14 comments:

  1. Well, I have never skyped. I do not text, either. But I do enjoy my cell phone, I don't know how I lived without it. I also remember the telephone party lines. I must confess I did ease drop a few times on other people's conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but you can buy a camera and add it to your computer. They even have wireless camera's so that you have a little more mobility. That said, I've never Skyped either. I do text. I think that is the only way my teenagers talk to me ;)

    Loved this post, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I may have eavesdropped a few times, too, Janet, just don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool, Kai. I will check into it.

    It amazes me to watch teens and even younger children sit there talking to each other and texting at the same time. Their world is sure different to the one I grew up in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought I'd want to learn how to text, but when I got my new phone, I took to it like a duck does to water, lol. I don't know how to do everything available, but it helps me stay connected with some people.

    We have the camera on our new laptop, but don't know how to use Skype. My son tried to figure it out. Not sure I'd want to learn how to use it, because then I'd have to make sure I'm dressed, my hair looks nice, and I'd have to put on make-up, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a good point there, Susanne. I might scare someone if they saw me the way I often look. :)

    I do depend on the cell a lot now, though it took me awhile to warm up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was born in the early 80's and I still have an old fashioned flip phone Beverley. I don't think I'll ever try to skype. I just started getting more into modern technology last year. I never said I'd be on facebook and low and behold I am. I still say I'll never be on twitter. I hope I never am I'm enfluenced enough by modern technology. I like the old fashioned flip phones. I do kinda want e-mail but it's not worth the money the internet can wait until I get a job where I need to be able to check it at a drop of a dime. Okay enough said. Point being made is you're not alone Beverly I'm almost 30 and I live an old school life.hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. Remember what they say, Legacy: Never say never. It's nice to know there are others who are behind the times by choice, like me, however. There are good things about living a slower life without all the modern gadgets.

    (You are around the age of my granddaughters.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only used skype once and technically I wasn't the one using it. My aunt has it because my cousin travels all over. He was most recently in Japan and we skyped him to say hello since the whole family was together.
    You're right though, Beverly. Pretty soon skype will look like "old school" technology and the latest new gadget will amaze us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was me, Kelly. I only talked on Skype and took a couple pictures. Other granddaughter was in control. Our one granddaughter is a traveler too. She's been to Italy, China, and now Prague, as a student and teacher. Nice keeping in contact with her this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Technology is amazing. I try to keep up, but sometimes feel like a Luddite. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean, Darby. For me, it's impossible to keep up with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never used Skype, but I would love to. I think it's neat. My son goes through cell phones faster than I go through shoes because he sends so many text messages. I have my husband's old one right now and it works just fine for me. I don't have a keypad for texting, so it keeps me from doing it too often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Skype is on my list for the new year, Cheryl. Of course, if I'm as slow learning how it works as I am about cell phones and iPads, something new will be out by the time I'm able to Skype.

    Young people are amazing. They act like they were born with a cell in their hand. Mmm. Maybe they were. :)

    ReplyDelete