Monday, October 4, 2010

The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing

I'd like to start this new week with a review of  a book that I've needed and that you might need to, if you are a book reviewer or hope to be one. It has really helped me to see how I can improve the reviews I write. I think it will help you, as well. Enjoy.





The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing
Mayra Calvani and Anne K. Edwards
Twilight Times Books - 1st Edition (June 15, 2008)
ISBN: 1-933353-22-8
ISBN: 978-1-933353-22-7
190 pages









THE SLIPPERY ART OF BOOK REVIEWING

Mayra Calvani and Anne K. Edwards

Have you ever wanted to write a review for a book you read, but weren’t quite sure where to start or what to say? Or maybe you’ve written reviews but weren’t satisfied with the way they turned out.

If you answered yes to either or both of the above, then check out The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing by authors and reviewers Mayra Calvani and Anne E. Edwards. Their book points both experienced and prospective reviewers in the right direction to help write the best reviews possible. The authors divide the book into three parts. They also provide a table of contents and an index to make it easy to find exactly the topic the reader is looking for.

Part one starts with “The Five Keys to Being a Good Reviewer.” The authors continue with an explanation of what a book review is and the results of the review for the reader, author, publisher, booksellers, librarians, and the world. Another section discusses the importance of reading critically and gives points to consider as you read the book, for both fiction and nonfiction. If audio books and graphic novels are your preference, the authors talk about them as well. From the different types of reviews to signs of what makes an amateur reviewer to starting your own book review site and much more, Ms. Calvani and Ms. Edwards give the reader expert advice on how to write a book review. I used their information on reviewing nonfiction books to help me write this review.

Part two discuses the influence of book reviews. Have you ever stopped to think that your review might sway a bookseller or librarian in their choice of titles to purchase? That’s an awesome responsibility, which shows how important your review is. The authors say: “Reviews play an important part on whether or not a person buys a book; a positive review tells the reader that the money they will spend on that book is worth it, while a negative review will do the opposite and may influence the person into not buying the book.” This is one reason that your reviews must be honest.

Part three lists resources, such as review sites, online communities, print publications, and so much more. I know I’ll be looking into some of these to find more places to post my reviews. The authors clearly have done their research, with quotes from many of their sources. They also give examples of reviews that I found very helpful. I haven’t covered nearly all the information this book provides, but you’ll find that it answers just about any question you might have. I highly recommend The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing for everyone who aspires to review books, as well as to readers who might like to host reviewers on their blogs or who simply enjoy reading good nonfiction books. The authors sum it up pretty nicely, I think: “Once you’ve decided to try reviewing, relax and enjoy the experience. There’s nothing else quite like it.”

What more can I say?

Happy Reading and Writing. Have a super week.

10 comments:

  1. Beverly,
    I have this on my list of books to read. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, Darby. It has a lot of good information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your book helped me see how I need to improve with my reviews. Will work on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is on my list of books I want to get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book contains just about anything you want to know to write good reviews, Susanne. I'm going to be referring to it often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To celebrate Halloween, I am having a monstrous book give away for all my followers on my blog amandarosetew.blogspot.com! Check it out!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything I've read of Mayra's (and that's quite a bit) is good, Diane. She has talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Amanda. Thanks for telling us. I love book giveaways. Seems I've been pretty lucky lately. Have about 3 or 4 (forget) books I've won waiting to be read as soon as I finish some reviews. Headed your way now.

    ReplyDelete