Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Signings and Crinolines, Oh My!

Saturday, Sept. 29, I had a signing at the Wichita Falls Public Library. The Friends of the Library sponser authors' signings. I was a hit with the kids. They kept coming back for more. No, not books. My books are for teens not wee ones. No, they weren't impressed by my crinolines. What the kids liked were the freebies. Okay, I'm enthusiastic about free stuff too. Never pass up something that's free, even if I don't need it. You never know.

So the kids swooped in for the stuffed puppies, horse head finger puppets, pencils, tattoos and football key chains.

The adults ... well, some gave me curious looks, even a smile or two, as they rushed to the check out desk, their arms laden with books, not mine. For the record, I sold two books, but had some nice conversations with a few people. I keep wondering: do I have halitosis? I advertised the signing quite a bit, even put 10 second ads on the local TV station. Hey, that's cool seeing your book cover on TV. Of course, if you blinked you missed them.

Oh, well. Some signings are good, others not so much. But I enjoy them all. The president of Friends of the Library wants me to come back in the spring. If you've been dying to see my crinolines (you know you have) here they are. Now you can tell your friends what crinolines look like.


Me and Jim, President of Friends of the Library

                                          Me, enjoying a good book.

9 comments:

  1. You look great in that dress. I've always felt sorry for the ladies of that era wearing all those layers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darby. Yes, imagine how hot they were in the summer. The dresses are pretty but not very practical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beverly! You look so cute in your civil war era dress. I'm so glad you finally had pictures to post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beverly! You look so cute in your civil war era dress. I'm so glad you finally had pictures to post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your sweet words, Susanne. My son stopped by the library and took the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress looks great, thanks! for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Books Mama,

    Thanks for your nice comment and for stopping by.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your crinolines! It is hard to sell books, I hope you have better luck at your next signing. Maybe you could give away bookmarks or cards with an excerpt from your book, that would make them want to read more and they would have to buy the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks creativewriting. I do have bookmarks and brochures, but most people just sort of walk on by. Ah, well. There's always next time. :)

    ReplyDelete