Monday, September 20, 2010

My Latest Reads

Quote of the Week: Courage is the resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." Mark Twain

The past few weeks I've read some great books. Every time I find a book I think is my favorite, I read another one and think, "Oh, I like this one even better." What about you? Do you have a favorite book, or, like me, do you have lots of favorites? Anyway, here are the latest books I've enjoyed.

The Golden Pathway, by Donna M. McDine. I will be posting her review later in the month as part of her Virtual Book Tour. But don't you just love the cover?








Another fun book I just read is The Bug That Plagued the Entire Third Grade by Lori Calabrese. You'll get to read this review during Lori's Tour, as well. (I love to do blog tours because I have the opportunity to read such wonderful books.)










And of course I read Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay. I was not disappointed. It lived up  to my expectations, though a couple of things I wish had turned out differently. I won't say for those of you still planning to read the book. 











Also, I finished House Rules by Jodi Picoult. A touching story about a boy with Aspergers, a subject very dear to my heart. I'm not sure about all parts of it, but the story did hold my attention.






And, I finished third round edits of my forthcoming Young Adult contemporary, Life on Hold. I have no idea where all the words like but, and, just, so came from. Too many. I cut, cut, cut. This, of course, meant changing complete sentences, even paragraphs at times. Ready for the next round, if the poor editor can figure out what I've already done.

Have a super week, all.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your latest round of edits, Beverly. I have to admit, my guilty pleasure is "just". I'm constantly cutting that one later on!

    All the best,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lori. It's funny how those words just slip into our writing and we never notice. That's why editors are so great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, some of your latest reads look similar to mine, Bev.

    Lori, "just" is one of mine, too. And "that." And I love hyphens - in sentences. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why that is, Beth. :)

    Oh, yes, I forgot the hyphens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like these are all great books to read. I look forward to reading your reviews of them.

    CONGRATS on finishing your third round edits of Life on Hold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Susanne. Nice to see you back, with an improved computer. :)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete