Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Beth Bence Reinke





Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Beth Bence Reinke, author of the lovely picture book In My Bath and others. So grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back, relax and meet this talented young lady.




Who or what inspired you to write In My Bath?



Two things inspired me. First was a bedtime picture book that showed a little girl pretending to sleep in different animal beds – a bird nest, a cave, a hollow tree. The second was a bedtime routine with my sons where I performed silly skits using their stuffed animals, including an elephant and manatee, which appear in In My Bath. Those two things blended together to become a little boy imagining different water-loving animals in his bathtub.

What was your favorite book as a child?

My favorite book was The Digging-est Dog by Al Perkins. For a long time, my dad read that book to me every night. It was 60-plus pages, long for a children’s book, but we read it so much that we both had it memorized. I can still remember the beginning to this day: “I was the saddest dog you could ever see. Sad because no one wanted me. The pet shop window was my jail. The sign behind me read FOR SALE.” My dad can still recite it, too!

What did you want to be when you grew up?

I always wanted to be a veterinarian, but I was allergic to cats, so that didn’t work out – LOL. I started college as pre-med, then changed my major and graduated as a high school biology teacher. Instead of teaching, I went straight to graduate school to study nutrition and became a dietitian. Now I’m a writer and often use my nutrition training to write food and nutrition-related articles for adults.

If we looked in your closet, what would we find?

Lots of dust bunnies! Some clothes that I don’t wear. A bright red scarf that I started knitting two years ago and never finished. Several gorgeous sweaters my mom knitted for me. A scanner and headphones I use at NASCAR races. Did I mention the dust bunnies?

Tell us about your favorite movie.

I have some favorite grown-up movies, but the kid in me prefers movies like Toy Story and Monsters, Inc. Who doesn’t love Buzz and Woody? J

Favorite music?

Country has always been my favorite music. Too many favorite artists to name, but I especially like Carrie Underwood.

Favorite TV show?

I was a big LOST fan and was sad to see the series end. But my all-time favorite is The Andy Griffith Show – an oldie but a goodie.

Favorite food?

Among other things, I love all kinds of salads and stir-fries. And pizza, of course.

Where can your fans learn more about you? Blogs? Website?

Your readers can visit me at www.bethbencereinke.com I have two blogs connected to my website: Food & Faith (nutrition tips) and Beth’s Book Basket (book reviews.)

What is in your future? Do you have more books forthcoming? Or are you working on new stories?

My second picture book, A Wish and a Prayer, will release this summer from 4RV Publishing, and a third has been accepted. I have two women’s devotional books scheduled for spring 2011 release as part of the “Devotions to Go” series from Extreme Diva Media: Fruit Lovers’ Devotions to Go and Race Fans’ Devotions to Go.

Thank you so much for visiting with us today, Beth. Best of luck with your books.

Also, the talented illustrator of In My Bath is Ginger Neilson. You can learn more about her at http://www.gingernielson.com/. Just look at the gorgeous cover below. The illustrations inside are just as lovely. Here's my review of In My Bath.

IN MY BATH


By Beth Bence Reinke

Illustrations by Ginger Nielson



Bath time. Some kids love it. Other kids prefer dirt under their fingernails and mud between their toes. The hero of Beth Bence Reinke’s new picture book, IN MY BATH, discovers that taking a bath can be an adventure, if you have the right friends.

In his bath the unnamed boy jumps the waves, floats on the tide, and glides above the sea. He’s a dolphin, a manatee, a seal, and a whale. He claps soap between his flippers and sneezes through his spout to make a fountain of foam. From beaver to alligator, from ducks to frogs, his imagination has no limits. So come along and see how exciting a bath can be.

IN MY BATH has a satisfying ending. Oh, no. I’m not telling. However, children will never look at their bath time in quite the same way after reading this delightful book. In fact, don’t be surprised, Mom and Dad, if they beg to take an extra long bath tonight.

Ginger Nielson’s playful illustrations complement the fun text. The animals are colorful and lively and will appeal to young readers or children being read to. The team of Reinke and Nielson have put together a winning book. I recommend it for kids 3-8 and for older folks to read to their little ones. I think I’ll go take a bath now and see what might be waiting in my tub.

12 comments:

  1. Beverly, thank you for hosting In My Bath and me on your blog today.

    You have written a deligtful review and I'm grateful for help in sharing my book with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Beth. In My Bath is a lovely and fun book. And for all parents and grandparents, you need to get a copy for your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun book for children. I remember when my kids loved taking baths and playing with their favorite toys in the tub. Congratulations, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a delightful story, Janet. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Stephen, Janet and Rena. Thank you for taking time to read our interview.

    I remember my boys playing in the tub, too. Believe it or not, their favorite tub toys were cups. Just pouring water on their heads, feet and other toys seemed to bring great joy. Sometimes it is the simple things...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I had already left a comment, but guess I didn't.

    I've tried to stop by all the blogs hosting In My Bath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your support, Vivian.

    It must be hard to keep track though as we've been hopping from blog to blog lately. :o) We appreciate our author friends who are such gracious hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful review - it really captures the fun in this delightful tale! Beth, congratulations this is sure to become a favorite of young children everywhere.

    Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Nancy. I appreciate your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete