Monday, May 3, 2010

MOTHERS

Quote of the Week: God could not be everywhere and therefore He made mothers. Jewish Proverb

My theme for the month of May is mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and other women who have influenced our lives. Today I'm sharing a little about my mother. If you're so inclined please tell us about your mom or grandmother or aunt or sister or whoever you look up to as a mentor and friend.

Henry Audra and Lorena (Leona) Adele Chapter Young Stowe

Leona Chapter was born July 10, 1912, in Brooklyn, New York. Her family lived in a tenement apartment on Gates Avenue. In 1919, Leona's mother died of tuberculosis, and her father surrendered her to the Children's Aid Society in 1921, she was placed in an adoptive home in Brooklyn and returned in December when it did not work out. She lived at the Brooklyn Industrial School for Homeless and Destitute Children until January, 1922, when she rode the train to Bowie, Texas. Although she did not know it, and neither did I until many years later, from 1854 to 1929, between 200,000 and 250,000 children were sent "west" to new homes and new lives. These trains became known as the Orphan Trains.

All of the children that traveled west were not true orphans. Many were half-orphans, like Leona, who left behind two brothers and three sisters, as well as her father. Fanny and W. V. Young became Leona's foster parents. They changed her name to Lorena and gave her a very good home. A year after Leona's arrival, the Youngs sent for Mildred, her baby sister.

I have recently sold Lorena's story to Twilight Times Books. No publishing date yet, but will post when I have one. I took a lot of liberties with the story, since I know so little about her early life, the train ride, and life on the farm as opposed to the big city.

I have read almost every book written on the subject, bcause the story of these children is dear to my heart.

Who else would like to share your story? 

6 comments:

  1. Dear Beverly,
    Thanks so much for this beautiful quote and your summary of your mother. Back then when they named an institution I notice they called it what it was, no PC names at all!

    I am looking forward to reading your book so keep your readers up to date as to when it'll be making its debut!

    My entire blog is a mother/daughter story so stay tuned as it continues along...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post Beverly. Your mother had quite a challenging life growing up. Please keep us posted on a publishing date on the book. I'd be interested in reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I hope to continue reading your blog. Haven't had time today to go blog visiting. Hopefully tomorrow.

    Another thing about the orphanages that I noticed in the census records. The children were listed as "inmates." That term just doesn't seem right. They were children, some even babies.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susanne. I will, but it will likely be a couple of years. You know how slow the publishing world is. I'm hoping for sooner, but will have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bev (cyberspace mom):

    Thanks for sharing such intimate details of your mother's life. Best wishes for your continued success. Can't wait to hear of the publication date!

    Best wishes for a Blessed Mother's Day!

    Warmest regards,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, cyberspace daughter,

    Thanks, I will let you know, but it will be awhile. It's getting closer and closer to your debut book. Waiting eagerly to read it.

    A wonderful Mother's Day to you, as well.

    (Cyberspace mom) :)

    ReplyDelete