Wednesday, April 7, 2010

UNDER SIEGE!

When I was in school, I hated history. I saw no use for it. Who cared who discovered what and when? In my grown-up years I became a teacher. My first assignment was children in third grade, which meant I taught them all subjects, including a litle history. You know what, it was interesting. Surprise. My interest in the past grew when we visited Charleston, SC, a town filled with history. I also worked with my sweet second cousin, who was in her 90s, on our family genealogy. She didn't just want dates and places. She wanted the family stories. And boy did she have them. My love for history grew. Now I have a library of historical books, fiction and nonfiction. They have helped me learn more about the past. I just finished reading Under Siege! by Andrea Warren, a must read for history buffs. In the book we meet three young people who survived the Civil War Battle for Vicksburg. It also contains great era photos. The scene where Vicksburg surrenders and the way the Federal soldiers shared their food with the Confederate soldiers brought tears to my eyes. One nation, united. At great cost, however.

I had written Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines before reading this book and used some of the same sources of information that Ms. Warren used. Enjoy the read.

6 comments:

  1. I hated history when I was a kid, and then an awesome teacher who covered the two world wars got me excited about history. (I aced that class, too!) So you never know who you might inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. My 7th grade teacher turned me on to history and love it to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this review of the book. I'll have to be sure and read it. I'm also going to tell my husband about it as he is big on reading books about history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Diane, Donna, and Susanne. Unfortunately, none of my teachers inspired me to like history. I'm not blaming them; it probably was just me. But learning about the lives of the people helped me see them as "real" people.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also hated history whan I was a kid! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mayra, I wonder if we'd had the Internet with so many universities and other great historical sites if we'd been more interested. Textbooks were pretty dull.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete