Friday, April 9, 2010

Bluebonnets

The highways and fields are abloom with Bluebonnets. Bluebonnets are the state flower of Texas.

I took this picture last year on the service road that our road runs into, off the major highway.
Seeing the flowers reminded me of one of my favorite books.
The Legend of the Bluebonnet, an Old Tale of Texas, retold and illustrated 
by Tomie DePaola

There are many stories about the Bluebonnet and other flowers. I have a book of wildflowers, Texas Wild Flowers, by Ellen D. Schulz, copyright 1928, that tells many of these legends.
A few tiny paintbrush are beginning to bloom. They're a bit late this year. Too cold, I guess.


This photo is from a couple years ago. I have better ones, but they must be on the other computer.
As you can tell, I love flowers.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Right now the wysteria has taken over in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, our son lives in SC, and the wysteria grows wild there. I've tried to grow some here, without any luck, but it does grow in the area, just not wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the beautiful flowers. Spring is here. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susanne,
    The flowerw perk me up and remind me that we live in a beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are very pretty! I remember as a child we used to sing a song called 'Blue Bonnet, Blue Bonnet with your coat so blue.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Creative,

    I'm not familiar with the song. But love blue bonnets. Thanks for stopping by.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete