Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Katie Hines and Her First Novel Guardian


I’m delighted to interview Katie Hines, author of Guardian, a middle grade urban fantasy, for her virtual book tour. She patiently replied to the questions I asked. Here’s what Katie has to say:



1. Who is your favorite character in Guardian? My favorite character would have to be Desiree because she was the most fun to create and she fills a traditionally male role.

2. Twitter your story in 140 characters or less. (This one was tough!) Drew made a promise that leads him to an incredible treasure and ancient power, but must defeat an age-old sect claiming it for themselves.

3. What was your favorite book growing up? I suppose it would be A Wrinkle in Time, which I read over and over again, even as an adult.

4. You have no cell phone, computer, electricity, or batteries. How would you spend your day? I’d be in writer’s heaven with my pencil and paper!

5. What are 5 things you especially enjoy doing? I like organizing! If I’m not organized, I feel displaced. I like spending time with my husband and kids. I enjoy playing board games with friends and family, love camping, but my number one thing is reading. Ah, I can never get enough of that.

6. What is your favorite kind of music? Classical.

7. Tell us about your writing schedule. What writing schedule? LOL. I take care of emails first, then work through my “pending” file, and get everything out of the way so I don’t have anything left to do other than write. To be honest, I don’t always use that time to write, as I have to balance my writing life with my personal life and the needs of running a household.

8. Do you outline your stories or just let them flow? I do some general outlining. I know what a chapter is going to do in a particular chapter. Flow? Well, sometimes I have a wonderful flowing experience, but most of the time it is more a matter of wrenching the story from me. I much prefer to edit, but you can’t edit what you don’t write!

9. Where can your fans reach you? Through my website at http://www.katiehines.com or email through katiebug1957@gmail.com.

10. What are your goals/plans for 2010? I’m getting this blog tour behind me, but will continue to market and promote my book in other venues. I’d like to do some school visits and book signings, and those things are in the works. Most of all, I want to finish a second middle grade story that I am writing and begin editing.

Thank you, Katie, for stopping by today and sharing your story with us. Katie is giving away a copy of
Guardian to some lucky person. All you have to do is leave a comment, and at the end of the tour a winner will be chosen. Guardian can be purchased at 4 RV Publishing, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other leading book stores.

Don't you just love the cover.

11 comments:

  1. Great interview, loved the questions!
    And yes, I love the cover, have since the first time I laid my eyes on it, which was before Katie even landed a publisher.
    Wish I were as organized as you, Katie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have a female character filling a traditionally male role, Katie. Our kids--both boys and girls--need to see more of that. In the next book, consider reversing that. It should be interesting. (-:
    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    Blogging at Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites pick www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to stop by and say hello. The tour has been good every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bev, interesting questions. I loved the one about describing Guardian through a tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Bev.
    Great answers, Katie.
    The one about twittering would have stumped me. Continued success with you book sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, jessi, Carolyn, Vivian, Penny, and Kathy. Katie is having a very good tour, from what I've seen.

    Thanks for answering my questions, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting me, Beverly! BTW, Jessi, the cover was by a 4RV artist and was designed by the publisher and after the contract. It's great isn't it?

    Thanks to everyone who stopped by and shared a comment. I've had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great interview Katie! Thanks for posting this Beverly. Good luck with your book tour Katie, and I love the book cover, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome, Susan. Thanks for commenting.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great questions and answers. I like getting to know authors through the interviews. Best of luck with the sales Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susanne,

    Thanks for stopping by. Interviews do tell us a lot about the authors.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete