Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Confessions of a Debut Author



I have the pleasure today of hosting author Kimberly Blackadar,  whose debut novel Nothing but Trouble After Midnight, for young adults, has just been released. Here is Kim, in her own words.






-Reaching Your Target Audience-



If you think your book is for everyone, then you’ll have a hard time marketing it to anyone.


This has never been truer in the publishing industry: with so many new titles releasing every day, authors must find their niche.


I found my home with young adult fiction. As a former English teacher, I know the value of teen fiction and wanted to write books that would inspire young people to read. Plus research shows that YA fiction is the fastest growing sector of the publishing industry. A 2008 Newsweek article reported that book sales for ages 12-18 rose a staggering 25 percent.


But knowing your target audience is only part of the battle; you have to know how to reach them. Luckily, my readers are “held in captivity” from early in the morning to mid-afternoon for about nine months a year. So all I have to do is visit schools to interact with them.


But in actuality, school visits are a win-win situation for everyone. Teachers get a well-deserved break; authors receive feedback from their target audience; and students are able to ask questions about the book—ones that only the author can answer.


Many young adult fiction authors offer school visits, and to book an author event with me, contact my publicist at blackadarbooks@yahoo.com. My book tour is heading to Kentucky, Ohio, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Florida before the end of this school year, but we are always open to new locations for next year.


This guest blog post is written by Kimberly Blackadar, author of Nothing but Trouble after Midnight. Follow the link to tomorrow’s blog post: http://www.debutauthorsblog.com/
Follow the link to yesterday’s post: http://ann-crabs.blogspot.com/


Thank you, Kim, for sharing your thoughts with us today. To learn more about this amazing author, visit her site:
http://kimberlyblackadar.wordpress.com/

11 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly. I remember attending school author visits when my son was in elementary school. I enjoyed listening to the authors talk about their books and how they came up with ideas. It was always fun to see how the authors connected with the kids.

    Good luck with your book tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Susanne, and to me, school visits are the best part of being an author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Susanne.

    School visits are a lot of fun, Kim.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly, I know you said school visits are win-win, but as a parent, the way authors handle the visits (and I can't say I've heard of a negative one) make such a difference in young readers lives.
    As a writer, I thank you (touring authors)for making my sons think their mom's a little "more cool", even though she isn't published--yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I think school visits are important. I haven't set any up yet for my book, "Guardian," but plan to begin doing so in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jessi, I agree. When I was teaching, my fifth-graders looked forward to author visits. They'd make posters and signs to welcome her/him.

    Thanks for stoppinb by, abitosunshine.

    Have a good time with your school visits, Katie.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberly:

    Wow! You certainly have a great tour schedule set up. Good luck with your school visits.

    Since my first book isn't published yet, I've conducted school visits presenting short stories curtailed to the ELA curriculumn and it was a great experience.

    Best wishes for your continued success,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good idea, Donna. Since I don't have a picture book, I use my animal articles published in Focus on the Family magazine for the younger children.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beverly, thanks so much for posting my guest blog, and to everyone else, I really appreciate the comments. To Donna and Jessi, good luck with publishing your first book. It's a great experience. And Katie, I am going to find out more about your book now. Best of luck with your debut novel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your post, Kim, and wish you the best in your writing.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete