Thursday, August 13, 2009

No Teachers Left Behind Review



HBF (Hopeful but Frustrated) Teacher is a three year veteran of a middle school in Georgia. When HBF is not teaching, HBF enjoys reading, photography, travel, and music. To learn more about HBF and keep up with the ongoing adventures, check out the No Teachers Left Behind Blog.

I recently read the book. The story will stay with me for quite awhile.

Enjoy the review.



No Teachers Left Behind
A principal who tells students to drop by her office if she can do anything to help them. A principal who tells her staff to please not give the students passes to come to her office.

Teachers who want to make a difference in their students’ lives. Students who would rather be anyplace but school and who have little respect for their teachers.

No Teachers Left Behind, by HBF Teacher (Hopeful But Frustrated), chronicles life in Vilyon Middle School, a fictitious school that unfortunately could apply to many of our schools today. From the mouths of administrators, students, parents and teachers we witness an educational system out of control and the sad consequences that follow the lack of leadership and of uncaring parents. The teachers care about their students, but are stuck in the system, doing the best they can with little support.

We like to think our children are safe when we send them to school each day. This book, though fiction, shows an all too realistic look at the truth. Through e-mails, memos, students’ voices, and poetry we see the chilling attitudes of children on their own, a principal interested in keeping parents happy and doling out extra duties to the teachers, and frustrated teachers trying to make a difference, against the odds.

I’m so happy that the schools where I taught were not like Vilyon Middle School. It’s a shame that students and teachers must attend schools that are. This book will leave you crying, angry, and wondering how this can happen in America. All administrators, teachers, parents, students, and everyone that ever attended school should read this book and make a determination to do something about the situation so our young people can get the most from their education possible.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing my book with your readers. Continued success with your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your book and hope that others will read it too. I don't know where everyone is. Sometimes people visit a day or two later. You have a neat site. Good luck with your book.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beverly:

    Great review. My sister teaches in middle school. She recently was granted her transfer to the a different school in the district. The principal was one of those who doled out her responsibilities to the teachers. I must pick up this book for my sister. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    Warm regards,
    Donna
    Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    Donna M. McDine’s Website

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,
    Sometimes I wonder how certain educators get and keep their jobs. It's the system, I suppose. Teaching is tough enough as it is. Teachers don't need added responsibilites. I hope your sister has a good year.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the excellent review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I spent some time being scared just thinking that things could be the way they are depicted in the book.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheryl,

    Sadly, I think in some areas they are bad. Hopefully not this bad though. Thanks.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful review. I have heard so many good things about this book - I definitely want to read it.

    There are so many excellent teachers that do not get the recognition they deserve. I remember several teachers that made a large difference in my life and teachers my son had who made a tremendous difference in his life. I often wonder if they really understand and appreciate the impact they make on their students lives.

    Sounds like it was horrible conditions in that school - I hope things are not that in reality. Kudos to those who stick it out for the kids.

    Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Nancy. Sometimes I wonder if education will get worse and worse as our society has the attitude of "I can do what I want." Hopefully, it won't get as bad as this story tells. Or perhaps in some areas it already has.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete