Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday Reflections

If you've been writing and submitting stories and/or articles for any length of time, you likely have received in the mail one of those dreaded "form" letters or postcards or emails from an editor. Most of them go something like this:

Dear Writer:

Thank you for your submission to ________. I am sorry to say _______ cannot use it at this time. I'm glad to have had this opportunity to review your work, and I wish you the best in your writing.

Sincerely,
The Editors

It seems a lot of people have the same name (Writer). But sometimes there is a funny side to the story behind the "rejection." I really hate that word. I like to think of it as I just sent the manuscript to the wrong address. Anyhow, here's reflecting on my first "wrong address" letter. It does have a happy ending, though you'll have to wait until next week for the rest of the story.

When I was teaching fifth grade science, we always talked about fire safety during fire prevention week. We had this neat program about having fire drills at home, the way we had them at school. I decided this would make a good article for a magazine, so I wrote it and mailed it to a small TV type magazine. My first submission. I wasn't sure what to expect. I waited and waited and waited. Nothing. You probably can relate to this.

Several months passed and then one day my SASE was in my mailbox, along with a color slide I'd sent and a form letter. My first rejection. It was also my .... Tune in next week for the funny part.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Please share your "firsts."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beverly:

    Come on you are leaving us hanging. Can't wait to hear more. Best wishes for a Happy 4th of July.

    Regards,
    Donna
    Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    Donna M. McDine’s Website

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I'm so evil. LOL.

    Happy 4th of July to you and your family. Stay safe.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete