Thursday, April 23, 2009

Interview with Lynn Tincher



It is my pleasure to introduce you to author and publisher Lynn Tincher. Lynn was born in the small town of La Grange, Kentucky and grew up in Goshen. She studied Theater Arts in College in hopes of becoming a Drama/English teacher. She has written articles in local newspapers and travel brochures. Now, she is focused on writing novels, short stories, and poems. She now lives in Louisville, Kentucky with her husband. She has three wonderful children, Emily, Aaron, and Becca and Luke, the wonder dog.



Bev: Have you always wanted to be a writer?


Lynn: For as long as I can remember, I was always writing something. I don’t think I had it in mind that I wanted to be a writer. It was just something I always did.


Bev: You have a couple of books, Afterthoughts and Left in the Dark, coming out in 2009. What gave you the idea for each of these stories?


Lynn: Afterthoughts was a story that had always been in the back of my mind. I don’t recall any one thing that made me say “Hey, I want to write about that.” The power of the mind has always been of interest to me so I developed the story around that. Left in the Dark takes the subject even further and explores other possibilities with what someone’s mind or thoughts can do. I look forward to writing more and branching out into other areas.


Bev: How long does it typically take you to write a novel? From the idea to the end?


Lynn: The first book took me about three years to write. I toyed with different ideas and characters. Left in the Dark is taking me about six months. It helps to have deadlines from a publisher to meet.


Bev: What is the inspiration behind your newsletter, The Literary Lynnch Pen?


Lynn: I started The Lynnch Pen as a newsletter for my readers. I was lucky during my early writing career to have help and guidance from Agents, Editors, friends new and old. I decided to share my experiences with others and try to help new authors in their pursuit of being published so I started adding helpful tips and writers advice in the newsletter. Then I started sharing stories of other authors as a way of giving free publicity in my newsletter. As my readership grew into the hundreds, I named my newsletter to The Literary Lynnch Pen and separated my news from it. Now that my readership is in the thousands, I’m glad to say that something must be working.


Bev: You support the Kentucky Humane Society and showcase a couple of animals in each of your newsletters. How did you get started finding forever homes for the dogs and cats?


Lynn: This is also my way of giving back. Only in this way, to my furry little friends. I love animals. When I started reaching so many readers, I contacted the Humane Society to see if I could help. I’m so glad they agreed. If I can help some of them find their forever homes, I feel I’ve done my job. It’s either that or I would adopt them all myself! We both know that’s not possible.


Bev: What is a typical workday like for you? Are you a morning person, evening, or anytime goes for your writing?


Lynn: My typical workday is every day. I do work a full time job during the day. I write and market at night and on the weekends. I have to dedicate time for writing. I have to try to not stay up too late, however, or I would be useless the next day. I try to carry a notebook around to jot down ideas when I have them. I usually spend some of my lunch breaks coming up with ideas or outlining. Needless to say, I cram my day full. But I love being busy and I am having the time of my life.


Bev: Tell us about forthcoming projects.


Lynn: I have a lot coming up. I’m finishing up Left in the Dark and starting a trilogy for 2010 about three brothers who fight to find out how their father changed history. I can’t say too much about it yet as I am still fleshing out ideas. I also have the screen play for Afterthoughts in the works. Keep your fingers crossed on that one for me!


Bev: Now for some fun stuff: If you could live in any other time period, what would it be?


Lynn: Ireland in the fourteenth century. I love Irish history.


Bev: What kind of music do you listen to? Your favorite TV shows? Movies? Authors?


Lynn: I listen to just about anything. I love classical, 80’s, classic rock and some light rap. I am addicted to 24. Jack Bauer is the man! I love Sci-Fi movies and books as well as some great “chick flicks”. I am also addicted to Harry Potter and JK Rowling. Her imagination absolutely amazes me.


Bev: Where can your fans learn more about you? Web site? Blogs?


Lynn: You can find out more about me at the following links:http://www.lynntincher.com/



Look for me on MySpace and Facebook too!


Thank you, Lynn, for sharing your story with your fans.


Thank you so much for talking with me! I really appreciate all that you’ve done for me.-- Thank you and have a great day!


Lynn Tincher Author of "Afterthoughts" and "Left in the Dark"

Publisher of The Literary Lynnch Pen lynntincher.com

Member of the National Association of Women Writers http://www.naww.org/ and Small Publishers Association of North America http://www.spannet.org/

5 comments:

  1. Always nice to hear about writers who help other writers :)

    Nice interview. I look forward to knowing more about your projects in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a gifted writer. Good luck with the screenplay.

    All best,
    Kimberly Michalski
    http://kimink.pnn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Jo. I'll put your interview up next week, closer to the Promo Day.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. A screenplay does sound exciting, Kimberly. I hope it works out for Lynn.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn,
    How wonderful that you help find homes for dogs and cats in shelters.:) Also a big fan of "24" and so is my daughter. There's something about one man confronting what Jack Bauer does that you have to admire. I am also a big fan of Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling. But I have recently become addicted to The Dresden Files, which is kind of a grown up Harry Potter or urban fantasy for adults.:) I think you might like to read this series if you have never read it. You have to start with the first book like Harry Potter or you won't understand it much. Like Harry Potter, Jim Butcher, the author, brings back characters from past books.:)

    I will look for your books.:) I wonder if you would be one of my guest authors. Come see my latest interview: That's how I got here. Beverly stopped by.:)

    http://barbaraehrentreu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete