Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Done! Done! Done!

Edits for Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines, my YA historical fiction, are done. At least for now. Unless I made a major goof. Look for its release this fall/winter. When I was a kid history was so boring. Memorizing dates and explorers and who did what, where, and when was not my favorite way to spend my time. I never pictured these people as being real, live beings. They were names and sometimes pictures in a book.

When I started researching my family tree, I made a startling discovery: history was fun. These people actually lived. They cooked, went shopping, worked in the field or in town. They loved, they hated, they made mistakes. They were farmers, boot makers, teachers, parents, children. They fought in the Revolutionary War, the War Between the States, AKA the Civil War, WWI and WWII. We visited King's Mountain, SC, where the backwoodsmen helped turn the tide of the Revolution. We toured battlegrounds from the Civil War and the War of 1812: New Orleans, Fort Sumter, Shiloh, and Vicksburg. There are many more I'd love to see, some day. I loved the old, old town of Vicksburg. When I heard how the people lived in caves during the siege of 1863, I knew I had to write their story. So I did.

Caves is Lizzie's story. I'll introduce you to her in the weeks ahead. Her life was quite different than Rebel's modern day life is.

Happy reading, everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm so happy for you. Keep me in mind for a review when you're ready.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing those edits!

    I hate having to edit my works again and again, but as we all know, it's such a necessity!

    Your novel sounds quite intriguing. I'll keep my eye on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cheryl. I'd love for you to review Caves. Whenever I get an advanced copy, which won't be for awhile, I'll send you one.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mayra. And as many times as I edit it, I always seem to miss something. There is no end.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bev...wonderful...congratulations on finishing your edits. Can't wait to hear or read more about your characters. Keep us posted!

    Warmly,
    Donna
    www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete