Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Celebrating Earth Day

I think I'll celebrate Earth Day by weeding the flowerbeds. But then bare ground is all I'll have because there are no flowers. I do have some autumn sage and Texas sage and a butterfly bush, but I won't show pictures because they're so pathetic. A gardener I am not.

The nearby fields are looking great. The wheat grows taller every day. Which reminds me: How many times have you seen the heroine in a story described with lovely wheat-colored hair? When I read this description I have to laugh. Take a look at a wheat field this time of year. It's green, yes. A character with green hair must be from Mars. Or else she dyed her hair and it turned out green.

Yep. That can happen. I'm proof. When I was still teaching, I colored my hair one weekend. And it turned green. Not a bright green but a dark green. So when I went to school on Monday, my fifth-graders kept looking at me rather oddly. But the sweet little guys said nothing. I finally brought up the subject by having fun with it. Since our school colors were green and white, I said I wanted my hair to show my support of our football team. Kids painted their faces and streaked their hair. Why not the teacher? They probably thought I'd lost it, but were too polite to say so.

(I never used the ash tint coloring again.) But I digress.

Anyhow, as the wheat matures it does turn golden and by harvest time is a lighter beige. So a heroine with hair the color of ripe wheat would paint a beautiful description.

Have a great week.

Happy reading and writing.

13 comments:

  1. Bev...charming post. I can see why you never used that hair dye again. One time my sister sprayed sun-in in her hair and she looked like Peppy La Pew with a stripe down the center of her head.

    Warmly,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, heh. That's funny. The things we do to ourselves. :)

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at your site. It is a wonderful site. Please link with me mutually. http: //161634.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read your interview with Donna McD. It was great. Best of success to you in your writing endeavors.

    Nice post here.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read your interview with Donna McDine and thought it was wonderful! Thanks for the chuckle I got from this post. I've heard a lot of horror stories lately with hair dye. My librarian was telling me her horror story just yesterday! The things we have to do, right?

    All the best,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beverly,
    I read your interview with Donna McD. You looked like you were an awesome majorette. :-)
    And I originally come from the wheatlands but am in the city now. We were back home last weekend and saw the lush green wheat waving in the wind. I loved it--but certainly not a good color for hair.

    Cindy
    www.cynthiareeg.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beverly,
    Thank you for sharing your life behind your writing in Donna's interview. Meeting someone else who is a writer and did not read as a favorite past-time makes life seem more typical. For me, my family was too poor to buy books and so I made up stories to entertain my little sisters. Shyness is another one that I tend to visit even as an adult.
    The unusual color of hair day reminds me of when my little sister ( 7yrs) wanted more yellow in her hair, so we(her and I) put fresh lemon juice on it and she sat in the hot summer sun. It turned more yellow alright! We just knew we would be beauticians someday.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Jewel Sample
    "Flying Hugs and Kisses"
    Children's author
    jewelsamples.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Katie. Your name is in the drawing. I'm writing them on paper and will let my cat choose the winners. She likes paper, but tears it up. I'll have to be quick to see the names before they're turned into scraps. Will notify you.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lori. LOL. I used to wonder why my mother kept dying her hair. Now I understand. You're in the drawing.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, ha, Jewel. Love the story about you and your sister. Worrying about our hair starts early, it seems. You're in the drawing.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Cindy. I suppose the authors who use wheat as a hair color have only seen it or pictures of it when it's ripe. Who am I to criticize? No one's perfect. It does make me laugh, though. You're in the drawing.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beverly, I related so much with you in your interview with donna mcdine. I didn't like to read and hated book reports. My book reports came from the jacket flaps. I was a majorette too. I put vinegar in my hair.

    Your blog is wonderful.

    Carma
    http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. We must be twins, Carma. You think the teacher suspected we used the jacket flaps? Remember the bruises from bouncing the baton off your knee and elbows? But it was such fun. You're added to the drawing.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete